Tank reseal question - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Nlewis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tank reseal question

I am resealing a 15 gal long I guess you would call it . I like it and I need to do a smaller tank before I tackle a 75 gal...lol Anyway , All the old silicone came out easy , but it left a film that will not come off . I tried a razor blade , scrubby pad , and nothing works . It appears that the silicone had lifted and this is just water staining . My questions are , any way to get it off ? and if I can't will the new silicone stick over it ? I have 2 pics of the front ends but all 4 corners are the same . Thanks in advance .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Last edited by Leeatl; 03-29-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Try some kind of citric acid cleaner or bar keepers friend. The glass may just be etched.
AbbeysDad and AbbeysDad like this.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:40 PM
X45
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Acetone! Looks like residual silicon. If it is wipe it really hou with acetone thy hit it with the razor again. They more acetone to polish it up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

90G in progress.< these guys will be moving into a 130G
225G build in the works.
Nono Cube 8Gallon.
20G
"Twin" 30 longs running in series.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys ,
I should have said that I tried Barkeepers . I will have to get some acetone and try . Someone had used this tank for a reptile and then for shrimp and the silicone on this tank was in such rough shape I think the water got under the silicone and etched the glass . My main concern is will the new silicone stick . I put some over an area tonight and I will see what it is like tomorrow . I will just have to clean it off before I reseal the whole tank .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Acetone is some tough stuff. It will eat the silicone away. Give it a shot and make sure it evaporates before you apply new silicone. I've used it to make super clean seams before but it will destroy silicone. Anyway, 15g isn't a lot of pressure. You'll likely be fine with the level of clean you have now. Even more so if it is a long tank. What is it, like 8" tall? You could silicone acrylic together and hold water. (Jokes)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Freemananana ,
The tank is 24 x 12 x 12 inches . I will see what the silicone I put on tonight is like tomorrow and go from there . I am skittish of the acetone as I am reading that it can ruin the silicone between the panes if too much used or left to long and I don't want to tear the tank apart and redo...lol

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just an update , I cleaned the tank again and the test silicone was fine , so I resealed it . I went just beyond the stains with the new silicone . It has been filled for 3 days and no leaks . I am going to switch it with the 10 tomorrow . I will post some pics once I get the canopy for it finished .

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got it all done...........

Last edited by Leeatl; 03-29-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode