Diy inline diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Diy inline diffuser

There is a specific inline diffuser build im looking for, it was written in a way that made sense for my brain. I cant find it anymore, i know there are alot of threads out there that are greared towards this. The big thing that i remember about the thread is he use an old gravel vac that he ran the co2 into ( yeah yeah totally normal) he used a brass fitting that he drilled into the vac.

The thing that mad his different was that he painted the backside of the vac black.

Any chance someone knows the thread?

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:12 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry.... but I just built this one last week. Seems to be working pretty well. Quiet, simple, cheap. Depending on your current plumbing setup, it could also be easy.... or a PITA. But that could be true for any new plumbing addition.

Good luck

Dual venturi DIY External CO2 reactor - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Food for thought:

For what it's worth for under $10.00 I'm using a Hagen Elite mini underwater filter. It has an venturi airline nipple I attach the CO2 tubing to and creates a nice stream of micro bubbles. To enhance further, I cap the outlet with a Fluval pre-filter sponge. The micro bubbles are forced into the inner chamber against the sponge material making for even better diffusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elite filter.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	719298  

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I like that venturi a lot. Its funny ive been reading about running co2 for a couple years, never got around to running it, and ive never seen the venturi. I think ill be building it this weekend.

Im a little confused though. Where the heck does the water go in abd out of?
Also does the power head need to be on the enitre time co2 is runninh or do i need to kick it at some point to degass the chamber?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Will

on Facebook.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Algae Grower

I have built this reactor. There is a lot of explanation in the thread that CaPhil linked to.

The reactor needs to be mounted vertically, with the end with the tubing inserted (right hand side in the pictures) up. The top barbel is connected to the outlet port of your canister filter, and the bottom barbel goes to the tank.

The longer piece of airline tubing is connected to your CO2 system. The tube runs most of the way to the bottom of the reactor. The CO2 bubbles come out near the bottom, and try to travel up to the top of the reactor. Since water is pumped into the top, and flows down, the CO2 bubbles are rising fighting the current, so it takes them longer to reach the top, if at all. My reactor is not transparent, so I cannot see exactly how the bubbles are acting, however I rarely notice any buildup of gas at the top of the chamber.

The shorter piece of airline tubing installed in the top is to allow you to off-gas any built up gas that has failed to dissolve. You will know that you are getting a pocket of gas forming if your reactor starts making noise, as you will hear the water dropping down through the gas pocket to hit the water level in the reactor. Tomm Barr refers to this gas as "recalcitrant gas". You will want to attach a valve to the off-gassing tube. You can either manually bleed off gas that has formed by opening the valve, or you can then connect the outlet side of the valve to your filtration system somewhere upstream. You will want to introduce the off-gassing tube into the system at 90 degrees to forma venturi that sucks the built up gas out and injects it back into the system.

I have not personally connected the off-gassing tube to a venturi, as I do not notice any gas build up in my system. The only time I need to operate the off-gas valve is when I clean out the reactor and am refilling it. When you first fill the reactor a very large volume of air is trapped, and it takes forever to clear without the off-gassing valve.

I have my reactor hooked up inline with my canister filter. Tom Barr is showing it being driven by a submersible pump (which would be in the sump, if you have one). I do not know that a power head pulling water through would work. The problem would be that you would be creating an area of low pressure in the reactor. I would think that the result would be to encourage the buildup of "recalcitrant gas" in the reactor, as the low pressure would encourage all the dissolved gasses in the water (CO2, O2, N2 etc) to come out of solution. I would be leary of trying this with a power head myself, and would definitely want to have the off-gassing tube hooked up to a venturi.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you for explaining it, the picture with the power head really confused me. And the first three pages didnt address it lol.

Ill be building mine tomorrow, and hooking it up to my canister saturday, what what glue did you use? I have the two step pvc glue, blue and purple i think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Will

on Facebook.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode