• 2 Post By Attackturtle
  • 2 Post By theatermusic87
  • 2 Post By JonA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post 4dkh recipe

There seem to be several recipes for creating your own 4dkh but many seem to be confusing or extra tedious through dilution multiple times. I found one that called for 5 liters of distilled to start with which is more than a gallon. There are several threads on this site that point to one thread that has been deleted or archived when you search for it.

I found this recipe on a UK site. It uses much less water than most other recipes and was fairly quick to create.

"Just mix 3 G of baking soda with 500 ml of distilled water.
Than you just take 5 ml of this mixture you just made and mix with 245 ml of new distilled water."

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/4dkh-water.27690/

For accuracy, I weighed my water. 1ml = 1 gram I already own a cheap gram scale (link below, 5 years old and kicking)

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weig...+scale+digital

I have not been able to verify the recipe. I tried doing the math but didn't come out with a result that made me feel it was correct. That said, my drop checker appears to be working accurately insofar that it is changing from a dark blue to a lime green. (5.5 gal 1bps and yellow one day when I had a DIY pressure spike).

Was wondering if anybody with experience can double check the recipe and perhaps we can add it to an existing sticky for future searches and the planted take PDF guide if that kind of information is on that document. I understand other recipes are for those without scales which is fine but using a scale lends itself to accuracy which is the underlying reason to use this solution to begin with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attackturtle View Post
There seem to be several recipes for creating your own 4dkh but many seem to be confusing or extra tedious through dilution multiple times. I found one that called for 5 liters of distilled to start with which is more than a gallon. There are several threads on this site that point to one thread that has been deleted or archived when you search for it.

I found this recipe on a UK site. It uses much less water than most other recipes and was fairly quick to create.

"Just mix 3 G of baking soda with 500 ml of distilled water.
Than you just take 5 ml of this mixture you just made and mix with 245 ml of new distilled water."

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/4dkh-water.27690/

For accuracy, I weighed my water. 1ml = 1 gram I already own a cheap gram scale (link below, 5 years old and kicking)

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weig...+scale+digital

I have not been able to verify the recipe. I tried doing the math but didn't come out with a result that made me feel it was correct. That said, my drop checker appears to be working accurately insofar that it is changing from a dark blue to a lime green. (5.5 gal 1bps and yellow one day when I had a DIY pressure spike).

Was wondering if anybody with experience can double check the recipe and perhaps we can add it to an existing sticky for future searches and the planted take PDF guide if that kind of information is on that document. I understand other recipes are for those without scales which is fine but using a scale lends itself to accuracy which is the underlying reason to use this solution to begin with.
You can test the final product with a KH test kit. I would say that the larger the batch made the more accurate the end result would be without fancy measuring apparatus.

Dan

Last edited by Dman911; 01-07-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
You can test the final product with a KH test kit. I would say that the larger the batch made the more accurate the end result would be without fancy measuring apparatus.

Dan
this

and if you decide to test this way, you can use multiples of the original test kit volume, for increased accuracy. For example if the test calls for 5ml and reads in 1ppm increments. you could use 10ml and it will read in .5ppm increments. and so on, for whatever accuracy you would like, though since you're basing your co2 concentration on a color change I don't think more than .25ppm accuracy is really necessary.

Also you dont have to use 4dkh solution, you can use whatever solution you want, it just shifts the color scale around. Take a look at the chart in the first post of this thread for dkh numbers relating to co2ppm and color of the drop checker
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Algae Grower

Since bottled water comes in gallons here I did a conversion to gallons for 40dkh.
4.542492 grams per gallon. I have a grain scale so I converted that to grains. which comes out to 70.1.
From that point it's easy to dilute the 10%
Attackturtle and Attackturtle like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:42 PM

this was very helpful for me as i ordered a drop checker but it didnt come with solution, this was quick and easy, thank you.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 12:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Since bottled water comes in gallons here I did a conversion to gallons for 40dkh.
When using bottled water make sure the water is pure. Ideally at about 1ppm TDS. Many brands of bottled water are now nothing more than filtered tap water or distilled with minerals added. Either way the added minerals could affect the PH of the 4D KH solution and that would affect your CO2 reading.

Quote:
There seem to be several recipes for creating your own 4dkh but many seem to be confusing or extra tedious through dilution multiple times. I found one that called for 5 liters of distilled to start with which is more than a gallon.
The instructions with tedious dilution steps are typically written with the assumption that you don't own a scale and or cannot weigh the bicarbonate accurately. Basically they saturate the water with bicarbonate which results in a solution with a known KH and then they dilute it down to the final 4DKH solution. The multiple dilution steps also avoids the need to make very small volume measurements. This limits the equipment need to what is typically in the kitchen. However if already have the scale just measure it out and add it to water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode