Hardscape and stagnant water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hardscape and stagnant water

I am making a somewhat large hardscape element using Rocks and Apoxie Sculpt epoxy putty. It will be about 15*15*20cm in a 12G tank.

The element will be placed in one corner and will have a substrate & plants on top of it in a bowl. So 3 sides of it will be against the aquarium walls and floor. I want it to be right in the corner and not for example 1cm away from it so that fish might get behind it.

With epoxy putty I am able to make it match the aquarium corner shape quite precisely (max 0.5-1mm gap), but I am still worried about the stagnant water that might/will get behind the element. I am unable to locate filter input/output or any other vessels to pump air/water to that gap.

The aquarium hardscape will be in use hopefully for many years and I am unable to tinker with it without tearing the whole thing apart. Therefore I want to get it right the first time.

Should I:

A. Try making it as precise as possible and then seal the element from all 3 sides using silicone.

B. Try making it as precise and possible and leave it unsealed so there will be some very very minor water circulation.

Or are both of them a bad idea?

As far as I see, if I choose A, it is possible that water might still find a way between the element from some tiny hole, but the exchange with open water and sandwiched water is so minimal that there should be no issues? I think this compares to a small amount of substrate that is never stirred?

With option A, there is no risk of having sand or newborns stuck to that gap and no gap to clean.

Am I good to go with option A?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode