Custom Acrylic Overflow (bean animal) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Benboone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Custom Acrylic Overflow (bean animal)

So I have a very unique sized tank (48"x5"x9") That Im planning on turning into a nano river tank for some hill stream loaches and things like that. Im putting a sump on it mostly to increase the water volume because its only about 10 gallons.

So for the overflow I thought it may be fun to try and build a custom bean animal system out of a spare sheet of acrylic I have. Its pretty thin I dont remember the exact measurement, but the idea is to basically have no actual "plumbing" in the tank taking up room. specifically ugly pvc pipe.

It would basically have a normal overflow weir and instead of the pvc there would be small (appropriately sized for flow) boxes made into the shapes of how the pvc Ts and elbows would work to create the different parts of the system.

Has anybody ever seen/done anything like this before? I realize this post may do better in a reef forum or something but Im not signed up for one of those and I wanted to reach as many people as possible too see if anybody has some answers. I also realize some may think the bean animal system might be a little much for a small nano tank but... i dont care lol I like that its silent and I just want to make one dad gummit!

I attached a pic i made to better explain. I tried to color code the different "stand pipes" so you can see them all a little more clearly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	custom overflow-02.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	701994  

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I say go for it! Just be careful with your measurements for constructing the smaller channel boxes, and try to build in the ability to adjust their installed height ect...
Worst case if they don't work as planned....Replace them with conventional pipe and fittings. No big deal.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you factor in time, you will probably be way ahead cost wise to just drop the bulkheads and buy a piece of clear PVC pipe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I didn't know you could get clear pvc! Although part of the reason was to save space. I could make these to be able to take in the same amount of water while taking up less actual space in the tank itself. Where can you get the clear pvc?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I did a complete from scratch external bean animal last winter.
Turned out great and has been running with no problems for about 9 months.
Here is the thread, not sure what happened to the pictures.
'Working with acrylic was pretty easy. Gluing up was easy.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-...-animal-3.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brace5.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	702210  

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benboone View Post
I didn't know you could get clear pvc! Although part of the reason was to save space. I could make these to be able to take in the same amount of water while taking up less actual space in the tank itself. Where can you get the clear pvc?
I've never actually bought any, but a quick google search turns up plenty of suppliers.

As far as saving space, assuming you're going to drill your tank anyways I would do something more along the lines of this, and use a clear pvc elbow if needed on the open channel/trickle pipe if it is too challenging to balance with water turbulence from the weir, though the same could likely be achieved with a small baffle between the weir and the returns
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	702226  

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I really like this idea, I may have to scrap my whole idea for that haha. Do you think it would matter if the two holes were drilled on the back side of the tank instead of the end. I don't imagine it would.

I'm going to see if I can find some clear pvc and probably go with this. It would have been cool to see the water working through the acrylic "standpipes" but this just makes way more sense lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Clear PVC pipe and fittings are available. Here is one source (offsite) - https://www.savko.com/collections/pi...clear-pvc-pipe and https://www.savko.com/collections/cl...0-pvc-fittings

However, I do not recommend it's use. Since it's clear light will pass through it. This means algae and such will grow on the inside and it will need to be cleaned. By using white, gray, or black PVC pipe you will not get this growth. This means a lot less work for you.

Tags
bean animal, diy, nano, overflow, river

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode