external drop checker - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
external drop checker

I was hoping some of you long time Co2 fanatics could chime in here as I would like to try to make a drop checker that is least intrusive aesthetically to an aquarium as possible and would like to know if this may be a plausible idea.

Here is the idea: Using non permeable tubing such as the type we use for our Co2 tanks. Submerge one end of the tubing a few inches under the waterline and have it then run up and out of the tank (somewhere inconspicuous) and connect it to a diy drop checker possibly made from an old test tube like the ones we use from our test kits. I realize this would have to be a completely sealed unit to be effective so assuming I could achieve it being sealed 100% with say a rubber stopper drilled to accommodate the tubing and silicone the tubing into the stopper. This would allow easy replacement and no need to look into our beautiful aquariums and see these alien looking devices.

My concern is that with such a small surface to exchange gasses that this would not be feasible. I mean for the cost I don't mind giving it a go but if its absolutely going to fail then there would be no point in trying. I have thought of using a small clear funnel attached to the tubing at the end submersed to provide more surface area for gas exchange but would really appreciate some thoughts and input from some fellow diy'ers

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:33 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I suppose in theory it would work.

As you mentioned, the small surface area would be a problem with reaction time.

Finally, changing the 4 dkh reference solution would be a pain.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I suppose in theory it would work.

As you mentioned, the small surface area would be a problem with reaction time.

Finally, changing the 4 dkh reference solution would be a pain.

I would think changing the solution would be a lot easier as its outside the tank and you just remove the stopper and then just change the solution in the test tube and replace the stopper.

Yeah the reaction time is what I'm worried about but even then a normal drop checker takes a couple hrs. so I'm wondering how much of an impact surface area has if anyone has experience with different style drop checkers or diy attempts.

Dan

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 01:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
They make hang on tank drop checkers where the indicator solution is outside the aquarium, so if you can't find anything that works for diy, they are available.

As for diy drop checker, this is what i made, it's a mini tic tac container with a test tube stuck inside

If you go that route, you should keep the amount of indicator fluid to a minimum (1-2mm max) otherwise you won't see a change as the volume is too large. If you are interested in going to FULL diy route, you can make your own indicator solution at what ever DHK you want (will show higher or lower levels of co2 as green instead of just 30ppm) see this thread for details and you can use ph low reagent as your color change liquid

Lastly if you decide to go the out of tank route, I would keep the amount of distance the tubing or what ever you choose to use to a minimum. The longer the run, the more gas volume that needs to change concentration to get a decent read. I would also use a large diameter tube instead of airline so you have a decently sized surface area to off gas from

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can buy them on eBay for $5.

Just a noob

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well I guess there is no need for me to try this if they already make them. Thanks for the info

Dan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode