Using brown sugar in CO2 reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using brown sugar in CO2 reactor

Today's just the 3rd day so naturally output will still be high but what I'm really impressed and amazed at is the consistently high output from the mix this time.

I gave up for a few days after some mishaps and decided to switch to pressurised CO2 but haven't decided on a regulator yet and the local shops only stock the Chinese Insta ones so I decided to try yeast and sugar again. I know about citric acid and baking soda but am too lazy to do another bottle and caps since the final aim is for pressurised.

Anyway, to cut the long story short, here's a video and some photos of the silly output from the 2 litre bottle. It's placed in a bucket with some water and covered with a towel to mitigate the mess should another mishap occur.

https://youtu.be/qtL78ii8Kic

Bump: The output is consistently high when the valve's fully opened but of course I'm not about to kill my fishes to show or prove that in this video. I know because I've tried it with the airstone in the bucket. There's actually a leak somewhere at the bottle side because I can't get enough pressure to bubble through a ceramic diffuser so that's why I'm using an airstone for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I use brown sugar and brewers yeast, I'm not going to post how long it runs for as I will just be called a liar.
It also seems to be less temperature sensitive.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I noticed the temperature part too. It's cold today, at least as cold as it can get in the tropics, but the output is still pretty high.

Out of curiosity, how much does a batch cost at your sides? At mine, it's about USD0.50 for the yeast and sugar to fill a 2 liter bottle.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-05-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pressure's built up pretty good to be able to bubble through a ceramic diffuser. Bubble rate is approximately 1bps which I personally feel is very decent considering its source. Was much faster a few hours ago around 0800hrs but I guess that's the 'joy' of yeast and sugar

https://youtu.be/sAdUYwl0ekU

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode