2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nexgen
  • 2 Post By vanish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Suction Cup alternative?

I know, vague thread, sorry! I use a powerhead for my planter box filter. The suction cups that hold it up only seem to last a year or so. Any ideas for an alternative method for holding it in place? Or ... alternatively, a cheap source for replacement suction cups?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could super glue some semi-powerful magnets in place of the suction cups and place magnets on the outside of the tank. This is how the hydor powerheads mount. If the powerhead moves to easily, glue some rubber to the magnets so they have something to grip too, this may also be good to prevent the magnets from scratching the glass.
Below is a hydor koralia powerhead, I circled the magnet, one side attaches to the powerhead and the other is on the outside of the tank. The rest is a suction cup, but it is more for to keep it from sliding down then keeping it attached to the glass/acrylic.
I hope this helps, I didn't do the best at explaining it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	684553  

55g Low-Tech 40b High-Tech
9g Cube Low-Tech Fluval Spec III High-Tech
40b Low-Tech 72g Bowfront High-Tech
29g Low-Tech
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I suppose some magnets could work in lieu of suction cups.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The best alternative I know of is magnets. You can buy almost any size or dimension rare earth magnets and make a way of holding one on the device you want to hold in place and use another outside the tank to hold it in place. That is how Koralia-type powerheads are held, and it works very well. You do need to buy rubber coated magnets for use in water, and to help prevent the outside magnet from damaging the glass if it hits it too hard, but the added cost isn't that great.

Hoppy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
It's also possible to "rejuvenate" suction cups by placing them in very hot water (sometimes almost boiling).

Either way, good luck!

I Want A Golden Goose!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've seen people bend plastic pieces (in this case it was kinnex) to make a hanger that slips over the side of the tank, if that is more your preference. Just heat it up and bend it.

You could also get an external pump, and hard pvc pipe it to the side of the tank and planter so it acts like a hanger. this also has the advantage of being able to hide the pump/use a surface skimmer/etc

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks folks. I'll try the rejuvenate method first, then, if it fails, attempt the magnets.

|
|
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hot water trick seems to work! I have a boiling water tap. Fill a glass, drop the suctions cups in there for a few minutes. They stick much better now. Thanks!

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode