DIY ADA-style stand: 60p tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY ADA-style stand: 60p tank

I recently bought a 60 x 30 cm tank and needed a nice stand for it. So I sought out to make my own ada-inspired stand. Below is a quick sketch using sketchup of the stand.

Not sure about the cutout on the side. Torn between a half circle, two separate long slots, or a rectangle. We will see!

I had a 4'x5' board of maple plywood left over from a previous project so I went ahead and cut the pieces to size. Here you can see them cut to size with biscuit holes drilled. These are the backs of all the pieces. The fronts have quite a nice grain, might stain and finish instead of paint. Again...we will see!

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 01:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
I'm sure it will turn out great! I have the ADA stand. Peace of crap with cheaply done paint job.
jumpzakjump and jumpzakjump like this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here are the pieces just resting together. No glue/biscuits in place yet. Here you can see the door, it will sit about 1/2" off the ground when in place. The front panel and top panel aren't shown here. Updates to come! Hopefully I'll get to gluing tomorrow and have this finished by next weekend. I am itching to get my tank set up, but I enjoy the building process xD

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:09 AM
Algae Grower

wish I have the tools to cut plywood

Bump: wish I have the tools to cut plywood

hi all
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikefish View Post
wish I have the tools to cut plywood

All you really NEED is a hand saw...if you're adventurous enough..and have lots of time :P

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpzakjump View Post
All you really NEED is a hand saw...if you're adventurous enough..and have lots of time :P
Love that grain and color.

While I have my shop setup with a radial arm in my bench what I use for busting sheet goods is a circ saw with a good blade and straight edge clamps. My blade cost me more than my saw. But it's going strong even after making miles of cuts.

Hope you're not counting on the biscuits for any strength. I'd look at glue, biscuits for alignment and pocket screws.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looking good. The grain is awesome.

As for tools you can do a good job with a standard circular saw. The key IMO is to replace the blade with a better quality one with a few more teeth.
Make one of these to get straight cuts. How to Make Straight Circular Saw Cuts | Woodworking Jigs
SeeF1L and SeeF1L like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 03:21 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redavalanche View Post
Looking good. The grain is awesome.

As for tools you can do a good job with a standard circular saw. The key IMO is to replace the blade with a better quality one with a few more teeth.
Make one of these to get straight cuts. How to Make Straight Circular Saw Cuts | Woodworking Jigs
Good link. One thing though you can use the factory edge of plywood for your straight edge. In reality you could cut the other end of that at an angle or an ogee shape and it doesn't matter. You are guiding your saw with the factory straight edge.

Bump: To the OP:
How are you going to hide the plywood edges?

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Good link. One thing though you can use the factory edge of plywood for your straight edge. In reality you could cut the other end of that at an angle or an ogee shape and it doesn't matter. You are guiding your saw with the factory straight edge.

Bump: To the OP:
How are you going to hide the plywood edges?
I haven't determined that yet, looking around for maybe some type of laminate that might match, or just go with black. We'll see. As far as tools go, I used a table saw, mitre saw and track saw for most of these cuts (have a pretty extensive workshop). And no the biscuits and glue are just for holding pieces together. The strength will come from braces inside the cabinet. Also the side pieces extend the full length from the tank to the floor, they will bear most of the weight!

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
I haven't determined that yet, looking around for maybe some type of laminate that might match, or just go with black. We'll see. As far as tools go, I used a table saw, mitre saw and track saw for most of these cuts (have a pretty extensive workshop). And no the biscuits and glue are just for holding pieces together. The strength will come from braces inside the cabinet. Also the side pieces extend the full length from the tank to the floor, they will bear most of the weight!
Same here on the workshop. I'm one of those that would rather move to another router table than switch bits during certain phases of things. Like rail and stile doors.

Can't afford a track saw so I use the straight edge clamps. Just got tired of hefty plywood on the table saw or the radial arm.

To hide the edges you could use solid wood and a v cut with tongue and groove. Leave just a hint of wood on the face yet covers the edges nicely.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Same here on the workshop. I'm one of those that would rather move to another router table than switch bits during certain phases of things. Like rail and stile doors.

Can't afford a track saw so I use the straight edge clamps. Just got tired of hefty plywood on the table saw or the radial arm.

To hide the edges you could use solid wood and a v cut with tongue and groove. Leave just a hint of wood on the face yet covers the edges nicely.
Yeah I was thinking solid wood for the edges also, the only places it will really need it are the two sides of the door, and the two sides of the front panel, so that won't be too much extra wood (trying to make this with all leftovers!) Thanks for the input everyone!

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking solid wood for the edges also, the only places it will really need it are the two sides of the door, and the two sides of the front panel, so that won't be too much extra wood (trying to make this with all leftovers!) Thanks for the input everyone!
Wouldn't the door be all four sides?

For the joinery I was talking look at the edge V-groove on this page

Plywood Edging Bits

On one project I just cut 1/4" strips of hardwood and ran them around the edges. I did rout a bead on it and mitered the corners. Made the strips a bit thicker than the plywood so after I was happy with the bead position I used a flush trim bit on the back side of the doors.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Wouldn't the door be all four sides?

For the joinery I was talking look at the edge V-groove on this page

Plywood Edging Bits

On one project I just cut 1/4" strips of hardwood and ran them around the edges. I did rout a bead on it and mitered the corners. Made the strips a bit thicker than the plywood so after I was happy with the bead position I used a flush trim bit on the back side of the doors.
Nice link, thanks! And it would be all four sides, but the bottom and top of the door won't be visible unless I open it which won't bother me at all xD. But for the edges, that v-groove looks perfect, thanks!

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 04:30 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Nice link, thanks! And it would be all four sides, but the bottom and top of the door won't be visible unless I open it which won't bother me at all xD. But for the edges, that v-groove looks perfect, thanks!
That would annoy the tar out of me. You'll see a bit of the solid wood on the sides when looking straight on but nothing top and bottom. I like symmetry in my cabinetry.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
That would annoy the tar out of me. You'll see a bit of the solid wood on the sides when looking straight on but nothing top and bottom. I like symmetry in my cabinetry.
Bleh..I'm torn. I do love the grain, but at the same time it's only ply so I am contemplating painting it all a solid color and maybe the front panel a different color to give it some pop. I don't want the stand to take away from the 'scape. I really like the simplicity of a solid-painted stand. Ideas?? Also this will eliminate the need to add the solid wood edges..even though it's not much more work I don't have a ton of time and no good wood scraps to use ):

What do you guys think?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode