Too much yeast??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Too much yeast???

What happens if you use too much yeast? I was wondering why it was bubbling so good.

I used a 1/4 Oz packet of yeast 2 cups sugar and water to about 3-4 inches from the top on a 2 Liter......

1/4 Oz yeast = somewhere between 2 to 4 teaspoons.

HELP?

125 Gallon AGA w/ Overflows
Filtration: Ehiem 2026 Filter, Dual "Ghetto" Overflow Internal Filters
Lighting: 1x96W Current USA CF - 2x96W Generic CF
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 05:25 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
As far as I know, starting off with too much yeast will give you higher output in the short term with an accompanying decrease in bottle lifespan. I only use a quarter of a teaspoon in mine and they last about 3 weeks. You probably will just have to replace it sooner than you would normally.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:34 AM

If you use a lot of yeast, the solution will start producing CO2 faster and will produce sudden burst initially but the rate will drop dramatically after a few days.

I use half teaspoon of yeast and it will produce enough pressure only after 1.5 days. Reaches max output after 2.5 days and last close to 4 weeks. Usually I prepare a new mixture 3 days before the old one ran out. You need to experiment a little since different water and yeast could give different result.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I saw it drop this morning and the pearling has stopped.

I'm going to add a second 2 liter on Monday and I will use a 1/2 teaspoon on that one and see how they do together and then try the 1/4 teaspoon when I refill this one.

Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It was more like a tablespoon of yeast or more.

It burnt out completely today (less than 24 hours. ) I should know to follow directions better. I just grabbed a package of bread yeast (pre-packaged portions) and dumped it in.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Ouch. Don't do that when you start to dose Phosphates

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Why with phosphates?

Also, I have found my problem.

Tried to do this with no cost so we first used some sealant my dad had around. The seal broke, took me forever to trace that down. So, I took it all apart and looked at what I had on hand. SUPER GLUE.

Walla, new seal that is holding extremely well.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 03:59 AM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddreams
Why with phosphates?
Just a bad analogy. If you add too much yeast to the mixture, nothing bad really happens. But if you "accidently" overdose phosphates in your tank, a lot of interesting things can start to happen. Nevermind me...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Algae Grower

Is it true that by adding a pinch of baking powder will keep the CO2 productivity longer? Any effect on water quality?

planted tank, 100% Fluorite and Eheim Pro 2222
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Are these real?

I think it is not baking powder, but baking soda what some ppl add. What do you mean by effect on water quality? You would add it to the bottle that has the yeast/sugar mixture in it, right? So the water quality in that bottle... Baking Soda is supposed to buffer the pH, keep it from going too acid. I have hard water and adding baking soda has given me bad results, foaming and shortened lifespan of the mixture. Might work better for different water.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:53 AM
Algae Grower

I know Bicarbonate of Soda, its used as a buffer to moderate the Ph. I used that in my planted tank to moderate its kH, with CO2.
But not too sure abt baking powder or soda.. Its add into the yeast/sugar bottle to last the productivity longer.. Is it true?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I tried baking soda on numerous occasions and it shortened the life of my mixture, just as Wasserpest also experienced. I also have hardwater.

I think the baking soda issue has become like heating cables. I don't see any improvement, and haven't read much about others getting longer life. To me it's a myth and works if you have faith in it. I would like to see baking soda users prove me wrong.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Algae Grower

Perhaps we can find the answer here....
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#
An Article by John LeVasseur, On

What are the advantages of the more esoteric yeast for DIY CO2?
""the fact that the alcohol levels reach a point where it kills the yeast cells, even if it hasn't used up all the sugar. The general consensus has been that it is the rise in acid levels that kills off the yeast. But this is probably not true. One way that has been proposed is to add baking powder as a buffer to the mixture to regulate the acids, but this does little to effect the alcohol levels. Oddly it is not the acids that are problematic. Yeast can generally deal with acidic levels to a point, as you will see below. ""

Yeast Tolerance to Acidity
"The apparent regulation by buffering with baking powder is probably due to the issue of sodium slowing the reproduction process, thereby slowing the consumption of sugar by limiting the population of living yeast cells. While this extend the life of the mixture, it also reduces the CO2 output over the lifespan of the mixture. This is a result of reduced, or at least controlled, yeast cell population."

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Are these real?

Heh, I never noticed he was talking about baking powder... I guess the best way would be to try and see if you get any more CO2 out of the mixture.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
One of the problems is also that common baking yeast is not very alcohol tolerant. That's why I bought a $0.65 package of wine yeast over a year ago and am still using the same yeast. It works so well that once the bottle is finished producing CO2 I can just pour off the old liquid and add new water and sugar and the yeast goes right back to work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode