post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
jft
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bump!!!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
You are going to find that alot of us here dont use sump or wet / dry filters. Most of us are keeping plants and those types of filters off gas. Meaning they have a good gas exchange and the Co2 that we are pumping in for the plants is getting replaced by O2 from the wet/ dry or sump filter. Is there a reason that you are leaning toward this type of filter? There are alot of canister filters that work great.

Canon Pimp Club #005

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
jft
Algae Grower

First I have been an aquarist for 35 yrs ,Reef for the last 25, second I plan to use Eheim canisters on my tank but I want to explore the possibilty of an additional sump for ,one, better water quality and added space to add heaters , bioballs, Efimech or EFi substrate or additional plants in a reverse mode or even added chemical media like polyfilters and Purigen as ways to tweek or upgrade the system. I might plan to keep discus or fish that require more impeccable conditions and am of the belief that water changes small and regular with optimal filtration is what our animals deserve just My opinion based on many years of experience. Thanks for your input, I hope to see some Ideas!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have no pics but there are quite a few planted tank owners who have sumps so hopefully they'll chime in sometime soon. From what I've read the key to using a sump with a CO2 enriched tank is to seal the sump to prevent CO2 loss and seems to be as easy as using duct tape or something to similar to seal up any holes or seams along lids etc. Here's a link to some posts on sumps. Wkndracer has some pics of his sump in the first thread, IIRC.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/se...archquery=sump
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jft View Post
First I have been an aquarist for 35 yrs ,Reef for the last 25, second I plan to use Eheim canisters on my tank but I want to explore the possibilty of an additional sump for ,one, better water quality and added space to add heaters , bioballs, Efimech or EFi substrate or additional plants in a reverse mode or even added chemical media like polyfilters and Purigen as ways to tweek or upgrade the system. I might plan to keep discus or fish that require more impeccable conditions and am of the belief that water changes small and regular with optimal filtration is what our animals deserve just My opinion based on many years of experience. Thanks for your input, I hope to see some Ideas!
Planted tank guys don't want to run Purigen, Phosban, AmmoLock, etc. Everything you did as a reefer, do the exact opposite for a planted tank. You want less light (comparitively speaking ), to add nitrates and phosphates, low surface ripple, and so forth.

A canister filter with a coarse -> fine -> fine -> polybatting setup is all we really need for filtration. Plants will uptake all the phosphates and nitrates that the fish produce, and more. A UV sterilizer is practically necessary for what we do. If you have a kalkwasser reactor, you can use that to mix CO2 in. Don't use actinic bulbs, or anything over 10000k to start. You want to shoot for about 3WPG of T12, 2WPG of T8/T5NO, 1WPG of T5HO. Someone else will have to chime in on metal halides.

SunSun Pimp #10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 29G, 130W PC lighting, Red Sea CO2 on 20# tank, SunSun 303B, Custom ferts
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I use Purigen as do a lot of planted tank owners and don't quite see it as something I've run to. It serves a purpose of removing DOC's. Some people use carbon, some purigen and some pH controllers while others don't. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Surface ripple is a good thing. It oxygenates the water, allows us to use higher levels of CO2 and drives off CO2 faster at night when it's not being used. Surface ripple is a good thing. Everyone needs to give it a try.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
jft
Algae Grower

cool input Thanks ,I appreciate your comments .Thanks again!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insta View Post
A UV sterilizer is practically necessary for what we do.
Haven't heard of that before.

Quote:
Don't use actinic bulbs, or anything over 10000k to start.
Hagen's Glo series is not bad at all and still over 10,000K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Chimonanthus praecox seeds. PM me.

:
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
not to get into a heated debate but I didnt know that I should state that I have 25 years in this hobby as well.

You can do all of the things that you said you wanted to do without using a sump. You seem like you know what you are doing so I am confused as to why you are asking people on this forum about sumps and filtration that you seem to already know about.

Also having a sump doesnt mean that you are going to have better water quality compaired to a canister. You will only be able to add on equipment more easly than you would with a canister filter. I for one dont like using sumps for a plant tank and I know that alot of people agree. The ease of adding equipment doesnt out weight the fact that its harder to maintain Co2 levels in the tank and the fact that the fish, shrimp, snails and other inverts tend to find their way down there where you dont want them.

I hope you find what you are looking for...... unsubscribing to thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jft View Post

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Sumps are becoming more interesting to me, but only because they can maintain a fixed water level in the tank. This eliminates one of the tasks I hate - topping off the water level. They also might make plumbing in a water change system more simple to do, but I'm still undecided about that. If I were to use a sump I would take advantage of it for some filtration and to hide the heater, but those would not be the reasons for my switching to a sump. (This is why I have been reading this thread)

Hoppy
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Sumps are becoming more interesting to me, but only because they can maintain a fixed water level in the tank. This eliminates one of the tasks I hate - topping off the water level. They also might make plumbing in a water change system more simple to do, but I'm still undecided about that. If I were to use a sump I would take advantage of it for some filtration and to hide the heater, but those would not be the reasons for my switching to a sump. (This is why I have been reading this thread)
Not topping off is a huge benefit. It has been proven time and time again that a well designed sump doesn't cause a large CO2 loss. The ability to hid stuff is fantastic, and the ease with which you can clean your filter is priceless. With all that said, it's all a trade off. Canisters are much, much easier. If you don't want to fiddle with stuff, canisters are the way to go.

65 gallon journal:

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Alright you buttwaffles arguing with my "rules", I didn't say they were hard and fast, it was more of a sharp snap in the opposite direction for a reefer. Sheesh

SunSun Pimp #10

- 29G, 130W PC lighting, Red Sea CO2 on 20# tank, SunSun 303B, Custom ferts
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid creole View Post
Not topping off is a huge benefit. It has been proven time and time again that a well designed sump doesn't cause a large CO2 loss. The ability to hid stuff is fantastic, and the ease with which you can clean your filter is priceless. With all that said, it's all a trade off. Canisters are much, much easier. If you don't want to fiddle with stuff, canisters are the way to go.
Fiddling with stuff can be a pain too!

Hoppy
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I use Purigen as do a lot of planted tank owners and don't quite see it as something I've run to. It serves a purpose of removing DOC's. Some people use carbon, some purigen and some pH controllers while others don't. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Surface ripple is a good thing. It oxygenates the water, allows us to use higher levels of CO2 and drives off CO2 faster at night when it's not being used. Surface ripple is a good thing. Everyone needs to give it a try.
Definitely agree with Purigen and a gentle surface ripple, I do both and am getting very good results. Iím not worried that the CO2 is escaping, because by the middle of the day, all my plants are releasing many bubbles of O2. So if anything maybe I can use less

Quote:
Planted tank guys don't want to run Purigen, Phosban, AmmoLock, etc. Everything you did as a reefer, do the exact opposite for a planted tank. You want less light (comparitively speaking ), to add nitrates and phosphates, low surface ripple, and so forth.

A UV sterilizer is practically necessary for what we do.
Why do you say this about UV?? Never heard this before. Like to know more.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode