2Likes
  • 2 Post By Watercrayfish
  • 2 Post By hubble13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Purigen Mesh Bag

I was recently using the purigen pre packaged bag/sack and for whatever reason it popped at the seam. However, I still have a jar of it to be used. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using alternatives or making their own instead of buying the seachem bag. I know other mesh bags are usually too big and I have heard mixed results with stockings. I was thinking of using tea bags. Anyone have any experience with using tea bags or at least another good idea that won't result in purigen beads all over my tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Most PetSmart stores sell fine mesh bags in 2 different sizes - 2 to a bag, for under $2. a bag.
They're not quite fine enough to fully contain the tiny Purigen beads - so just double the bags up and you'll be just fine.
Been using these for years.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can use a panty hose

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Planted Member

+1 panty hose.

28 gal low tech
EHEIM PIMP #436
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Algae Grower

@discuspaul Using 2 mesh bags still seems like there's a good chance of purigen beads getting through especially of the bags aren't stuffed as Seachem suggests. I'm speculating so if you say it works that trumps me, but can you confirm beads don't make their way out over time?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by infolific View Post
@discuspaul Using 2 mesh bags still seems like there's a good chance of purigen beads getting through especially of the bags aren't stuffed as Seachem suggests. I'm speculating so if you say it works that trumps me, but can you confirm beads don't make their way out over time?

The facts are that I've only lost a very small number of beads when using just a single Petsmart bag. But I've not lost a single bead when using doubled-up Petsmart bags in approx. 5 years of using them this way.
So I don't take any chances & double the bags up.
It's inexpensive. And those bags are durable. I've not yet had one fail by breaking up at the seams.

And btw, the Purigen should not be 'heavily' stuffed within any bag, nor should it be in a thick layer. You want a fairly loose, thinner volume of the beads to enable the aquarium water to pass readily through the Purigen, in order to get maximum adsorption capacity from the total sum of the beads.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 01:06 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks for confirming @discuspaul. I'll give the 2 bag method a try.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:52 AM

If you have a Joann & crafts near you, go look in the aisle where the irons are in the garment care section. For 4-3 bucks, you can get a package of very fine mesh bags by the brand "Dritz." They come in multiple sizes, and are fine mesh, like pantyhose, but very durable. I swear by these. Also, you can find plain mesh fabric there, and either sew some up quick, or get a handy friend to do it.

Everything happens for a reason...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Also in many craft/gift stores you can find fine mesh organza cloth bags (in various sizes) which are used to contain wedding or birthday gifts, etc.
They are very durable and easily contain the tiny Purigen beads, just like pantyhose does.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode