DIY Co2 generator - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Watercrayfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Co2 generator

Hey guys! Building out my first tank! instead of of going all out and buying a co2 regulator i decided to build my own. I have a JbJ 8 gallon tank.

what is the difference between citric acid/baking soda vs yeast/sugar?

Does anyone have any experience with these regulators?

[Ebay Link Removed] System with Pressure Guage Safe Vavle DIY CO2 Air Necessity S0W6[/url]

let me know what you guys think!

thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Algae Grower

Sugar yeast solution generally dies after a week or 2 depending on recipe. This happens because yeast produce alcohol along with co2, the alcohol content eventually kills the yeast. Citric acid method doesn't have this issue because it's chemical not biological, however, it does supposedly cost more. I have used sugar and yeast however I bought citric acid this morning. Got fed up with replacing sugar and yeast in 2 2L every week or so.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Dalfan, thank you for the note.

do you have any experience with these things?

https://www.google.com/search?q=co2+...M1zn5PT9qXM%3A

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mcdanielnc89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalfan039 View Post
Sugar yeast solution generally dies after a week or 2 depending on recipe. This happens because yeast produce alcohol along with co2, the alcohol content eventually kills the yeast. Citric acid method doesn't have this issue because it's chemical not biological, however, it does supposedly cost more. I have used sugar and yeast however I bought citric acid this morning. Got fed up with replacing sugar and yeast in 2 2L every week or so.
I use Citric Acid/Baking Soda as well. I've been having to change mine weekly....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortywei View Post

That's the kind I use. The needle valve is not the best. Other than that it works well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 04:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanielnc89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalfan039 View Post
I use Citric Acid/Baking Soda as well. I've been having to change mine weekly....

Check for leaks with soapy water all of the research I've done, quite a bit, shows that everyones last at least a month. Only time it doesn't is when u have a leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortywei View Post

I don't however, I bought one today since I got fed up with straight yeast and sugar to tank, without any gear between. All of my research shows that it's only initializing cost that keeps people away. Which is silly really when you look at the amount of money that most people put into there planted tank.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-13-2016 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you are handy.

Buy these items.
1) CO2 Coke Bottle Cap (2 for $1 or so)
2) Single Way Aquarium Control Air Water Flow Lever Valve (buy multiple ones some of it will leak, also get the metal ones I found those more accurate) https://www.amazon.com/Single-Aquari.../dp/B0051MTNXW
3) Air Pump Check Valves
4) Air Line tube (home depot, lowes have it for good price)

That's all you need. The pressure gauge and all are not required.
Spend money on some nice diffuser or build a cool one using power head.

I have both Citric and Sugar versions. You can gas your fish in a 8 gallon with a citric setup its very effective. Go with sugar/yeast initially so you know what you are dealing with.
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

thank you for all the help!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
That's the kind I use. The needle valve is not the best. Other than that it works well.

Jrill,

do you know if there is a value check to prevent water from flowing back into the bottles?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't remember but I don't think so. I always add one anyway.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

awesome! thank you!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 01:50 PM
Algae Grower

I do Citric/Soda with this setup: DIY CO2 - Amazon

I've got one running on my 2.5G planted invert tank, and one running on my planted 55G ram community tank. If you start shopping, there are 2 of them on Amazon, but they are basically identical products. The only difference is saving a buck or two if you are okay with it shipping from China and taking a month to arrive. The product itself feels sturdy enough, though the pressure gauge is clearly next to useless, and the needle valve can be a bear to deal with. The caps and fittings and hose feel like they will be good for the long haul.

They are simple to set up. The Citric/Soda method is MUCH, MUCH cleaner and easier to deal with, imho. I did Yeast/Sugar years ago, on my 29G.

Compare/Contrast Citric/Soda to Yeast/Sugar:

• With Yeast/Sugar, you only need 1 bottle (but could add more). Citric/Soda requires 2.
  • Yeast/Sugar does not produce a significant amount of pressure, causing diffusal to be more of a pain.
  • The yeast are slow to get started, and do not maintain a steady production. In theory, the Citric/Soda method is much more controlable and steady.
  • If you have a spill/accident outside the tank, yeast and sugar can be nigh impossible to clean fully. Citric/Soda isn't nearly as messy.
  • With Yeast/Sugar, you can't turn it off. Citric/Soda can sit dormant with no issues.
  • Citric/Soda is a well understood and predictable chemical reaction. Life, on the other hand, can always surprise you, and usually not in a good way. This makes it easier to get that drop checker the pretty green you want it to be, and to keep it there.

-- 2.5 Gallon mini bowfront with a field of crypt wendtii, some java fern, java moss, 8 RCS, and several species of snails.
-- 55 Gallon long with Green Rotala, Crypt Wendtii, Red Ludwigia, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa Carolinia, Banana Plant, Dwarf Sag, and an Amazon Sword. 2 Bolivian rams, 2 German Golden longfin rams, 2 German Blue Longfin Rams, 17 Rummies, 7 Neons, and a lonely Amano.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode