Citric acid and baking soda diy co2

How long it will work 1 bottle. ?

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 04:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Depends on how much co2 you use. I'm on week three at 1 bubble every two seconds or so for eight hours a day. I guesstimate I have another two weeks left.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Depends on how much co2 you use. I'm on week three at 1 bubble every two seconds or so for eight hours a day. I guesstimate I have another two weeks left.

Hi

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hi

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
My citric acid/soda system seems to never run out. I haven't seen the level of citric acid drop more than a half inch over 2-3 weeks, and the soda/water mix bottle seems to always have some undissolved soda left. I have renewed the mixes once, just to try a stronger acid mix, not because it ran out. At low bubble rates it must be good for at least 3-4 weeks. But, I'm having trouble maintaining the bubble rate, readjusting it every morning, so perhaps it lasts so long because most of the day, with lights off, it isn't working. I'm thinking of plugging the little tee fitting that is in the hose that is in the soda bottle, to see if that makes it work more constantly.

Hoppy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 11:06 PM
Algae Grower

It may be there is a leak in CO2 system at some point that's causing your problem with changing bubble rates. It's pretty common with DIY set ups to have leaks, either at the bottle cap/tube interface, or any other tube connection along the way.

There are some really neat miniature bulkhead fittings you can get that work extremely well for making air tight connections from a bottle to tubing. Meant for gas line to gas tank fittings in some model engines, the ones I've seen are plastic, made by Four Most. Not very costly, two sizes. The tubing used for the gas lines in the models is the same as the silicone version of air line tubing and either size works, though the larger one may be the better for this purpose. The smaller one is 1/8", I forget what the larger one is, only very slightly larger in any case. Packs of two.

I don't know how long a citric acid/baking soda bottle would last, but have been wanting to try it, if only because it is less messy, with no by product ( alcohol from yeast). But I think a comparably sized soda bottle would last a bit longer than a yeast bottle would, if only because the alcohol kills the yeast before it has a chance to 'use' up all the sugar, so the soda/acid mix is more efficient.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
My citric acid/soda system seems to never run out. I haven't seen the level of citric acid drop more than a half inch over 2-3 weeks, and the soda/water mix bottle seems to always have some undissolved soda left. I have renewed the mixes once, just to try a stronger acid mix, not because it ran out. At low bubble rates it must be good for at least 3-4 weeks. But, I'm having trouble maintaining the bubble rate, readjusting it every morning, so perhaps it lasts so long because most of the day, with lights off, it isn't working. I'm thinking of plugging the little tee fitting that is in the hose that is in the soda bottle, to see if that makes it work more constantly.

Odd that yours doesn't use the citric acid up. Here's mine after 4 weeks. Acid is all gone and bottle empty. The pressure is pegged high on the gauge. It probably has enough pressure to last another week or two.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post

Odd that yours doesn't use the citric acid up. Here's mine after 4 weeks. Acid is all gone and bottle empty. The pressure is pegged high on the gauge. It probably has enough pressure to last another week or two.

Very interesting, and very different from what I see. Maybe I do have a leak somewhere, even though I have repeatedly tested it and never found a leak. Mine also never builds up pressure enough to show on my gauge. It did build up a lot of pressure back when I was just playing around with it, but never since I connected it to my tank. That also hints that there is a leak somewhere. Time to blow some bubbles!!

Hoppy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Planted Member

Hmm ... mine only last 10-14 days I run 1-2 BPS but some times I forget to turn it off at night I may also have a leak some where. I'm probably going to switch back to a pressurized system soon anyway.

28 gal low tech
EHEIM PIMP #436
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode