CO2 Inject into Reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 Inject into Reactor

I have just created another DIY CO2 Reactor using a Rio Powerhead 600. It abt 7" long.
Desige is to 2 plastic bottles, Dia 2.5", cut to half, discard the bottle base, take the openings and attached together. A small amout of coarse filter media (1" thick) at the bottom of reactor. CO2 was intend to inject from the top by a tube (Near Powerhead output on top).
CO2 has yet to supply to reactor. However, the problem is Water is able to flow reversely into the CO2 output tube. Flow is weak, but still need a pressure to overcome.

I have tried
- remove the filter at the bottom to provide an free flow-out of trapped water
- placing the output of CO2 Tube away from the powerhead output
- to put a air-stone at the output of CO2 tube
- to contain the output of CO2 tube (a very small container, to act as a bubble counter place inside reactor.)
- just the output tube with nothing attached

Yet, water still able to flow reversely into the output of CO2 tubing. Kindly advise, and help to identify the problem.
I dont wish to change a weaker powerhead. I suspect the trapped-water flow inside has higher pressure, thus causing a reverse flow in to a Dia.4mm CO2 tubing...
roller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
There are those little things called check valves. About a buck fifty for the cheapo plastic ones, or ten times that for a better one. They prevent backflow from the tank!

Of course, a CO2 producing unit (assuming you use DIY CO2?) will create pressure and push the water out of the tubing. But when you change bottles the check valve comes in real handy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Algae Grower

Just the thread I was looking for!

I have the same problems with my inline external reactor using pressurized CO2. When the bottle is getting close to the end of its life, the remaining pressure is unable to counteract the pressure generated by the water flowing past the CO2 orifice.

Essentially what I need is a venturi where the CO2 orifice is located in the low pressure area (behind the constriction?) so that the CO2 line only sees a partial vacuum. That would probably require a redesign of the reactor and be an interesting experiment.

or, I just invest in a good liquid check valve. I have some different gas check valves and water can still leak back if the pressure at the orifice is greater than the pressure coming from the regulator.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a really good check valve? I had water back up into my regulator once and I really don't want to have any more suprises.

Ron

**** Eheim Pimp Club member #13****
75 gallon, Eheim 2026, AquaMedic 2x150W 6500K MH, CO2, medium planted angelfish tank

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Been using the one that glass-garden.com has for around $10. Nice solid piece that I'm pleased with.

Eric

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I would recommend the same.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Algae Grower

Surprisingly enough, I have one of those or one similar that I got from US Plastics (PVC check valve) when I went on one of my tubing/connector binges.

It seemed to work decent, but I was worried that the water that backed up into the valve would cause problems like corrosion. Now that I think about it, I can't remember if water ever backed up out of it.

I do know it had 1/4" barbs on it which made stretching 3/16" tubing difficult.

I will dig it back out and see if it still works.

75 gallon, Eheim 2026, AquaMedic 2x150W 6500K MH, CO2, medium planted angelfish tank
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can someone show any pictures abt this valve? And I doubt this kinda valve may be applicable for DIY CO2 Generator.
I have added a one-way valve. Its output consist of a lips-like rubber opening.. contained in a small, transparent plastic capsule.
Its is obvious that CO2 need higher pressure to pass through that 'lip' valve and into reactor. And water in the reactor is not able to 'siphon' back in reverse direction, not even air.
However, I think that is it still better to make CO2, entering freely, and with the least pressure into reactor than passing through valves, or counter back those reverse pressure.
Anyone have a better design for CO2 output in reactor? Other suggestion ?

planted tank, 100% Fluorite and Eheim Pro 2222
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
If nobody posts one up, I'll snap a picture of mine. Might have to wait a couple of days though, since my router died at home and I have to come into work to post (hopefully I can upload since my comp. at work is pretty much obsolete nowadays).

Eric

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Algae Grower

If you go to the glass-gardens.com webpage and look at the check valve, you will get an idea of what this thing looks like (it is a monster size-wise actually).

Albeit I took some physics in college, I haven't quite figured out why I get water backing into my line when the solenoid closes. It would mean that I have a leak in my hose and it is venting pressure. I would expect water to be all over, but when it reaches the solenoid, it doesn't go past it.

That's why I talked about a venturi, which creates a vacuum at the point in the venturi where you would place the CO2 injection port. That would mean that water should never come out, unless the water flow through the venturi reduced enough to negate the vacuum effect.

There was a discussion that talked about the Clippard valve and that one of the suggested ones didn't close the valve unless there was a significant back pressure on the output side. Essentially you need a valve that cracks open at high pressure on the input and closes with low pressure at the input.

What did I just prove out of this?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Water will backup on a CO2 line because the CO2 is hygroscopic.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode