How can I run my diy co2 system - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How can I run my diy co2 system

I really want to give diy co2 a try on my 5gal dirted tank that I have had up and running for about 6 months. I plan on using the citric acid and baking soda method, but I have run into a problem. The light for that tank runs from 12:30pm-6pm. I go to college and am not always around to be able to turn the co2 system on for that time. My question is if there is any other solutions to my problem, other than changing the time my lights go on to a time where I will be around to be able to turn off'on the co2 system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Solenoid

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Amazon has a very cheap solenoid valve you can experiment with - https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Agne...ustomerReviews I have used it with mixed results. It seems to require that the "in" port be a specific port, but mine didn't have the ports identified that way. I'm not using it now, but I expect to try it again.

Hoppy

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 PM
Algae Grower

You do have one other option. Get an airstone and a pump. Put it together. Stick it in the tank. Attach it to a cheap timer. Set airstone/pump combo to run when the CO2 is OFF. The added oxygen helps eliminate the extra CO2. I found several cheap timers on Amazon for <= $6. I found airstones for $4 on Amazon (probably could get cheaper here). And a simple easy pump was $9.

So, for ~$24, you can have this thing set up, and not have to worry about a solenoid.

-- 2.5 Gallon mini bowfront with a field of crypt wendtii, some java fern, java moss, 8 RCS, and several species of snails.
-- 55 Gallon long with Green Rotala, Crypt Wendtii, Red Ludwigia, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa Carolinia, Banana Plant, Dwarf Sag, and an Amazon Sword. 2 Bolivian rams, 2 German Golden longfin rams, 2 German Blue Longfin Rams, 17 Rummies, 7 Neons, and a lonely Amano.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

5 gallons is a pretty small tank. If you could consider setting up a small sugar/yeast CO2 bottle of about a liter or less in size, and use about 2/3rds the amount of sugar normally used, you could run the CO2 reactor 24/7.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well I was thinking the just so happens to get hit with a decent amount of ambient light. Would that allow me to turn the co2 on when I leave for school (around 8:30am)and then turn the co2 off when I get home (3:45pm at the latest) and then let the tank light time out at 6?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If direct sunlight hits the tank, you are probably going to have algae problems no matter what else you do. Just bright daylight is so low in intensity you can ignore it.

Hoppy
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If direct sunlight hits the tank, you are probably going to have algae problems no matter what else you do. Just bright daylight is so low in intensity you can ignore it.
It's definitely not direct sunlight, but rather bright daylight. So when you say just ignore it you mean as in don't count as adaquete light to run co2 on?
So what do you guys think would be my best course of action?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper01 View Post
Quote:
It's definitely not direct sunlight, but rather bright daylight. So when you say just ignore it you mean as in don't count as adaquete light to run co2 on?
So what do you guys think would be my best course of action?
All light setups are adequate to run co2 on Hoppy was saying that non direct sunlight won't effect your setup but direct sunlight would likely be an algae farm.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
All light setups are adequate to run co2 on Hoppy was saying that non direct sunlight won't effect your setup but direct sunlight would likely be an algae farm.
So in that case could I turn the co2 on when I leave for school and simply turn it off when I come back home?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper01 View Post
So in that case could I turn the co2 on when I leave for school and simply turn it off when I come back home?
As discussed above, first you should try to choose a DIY set-up that won't gas the fish even if things go wrong. Then, yes, you can run it 24 hours a day, even when you aren't home. It is like buying a car: if you only need it to get to an from work, and occasional trips, don't buy a sports car with a zero to 60 capability of 5 seconds, and a top speed of 160 mph.

Hoppy
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
As discussed above, first you should try to choose a DIY set-up that won't gas the fish even if things go wrong. Then, yes, you can run it 24 hours a day, even when you aren't home. It is like buying a car: if you only need it to get to an from work, and occasional trips, don't buy a sports car with a zero to 60 capability of 5 seconds, and a top speed of 160 mph.
I had no intention of running the co2 24/7. My question was if my lights run from 12:30-6, and Covent the fact that the tanks get exposed to bright daylight but not direct sunlight I wanted to know if I could run the co2 from like 8:30-3:30 even tho lights don't go in till 12:30
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can run a safe level of CO2 whatever the lighting is. Using CO2 doesn't mean you have to use more light intensity. So, yes, you can run the CO2 as you described.

I mentioned the 24/7 running of CO2 because one failure mode with CO2 is the failure to shut off when it is supposed to. If your level of CO2 is low enough not to harm the fish running 24/7 you won't have a problem other than wasted CO2 if you have that failure mode.

Hoppy
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can run CO2 24/7 if you are running 1 bps or less. You will have wasted CO2 with lights off, but you won't gas your fish at that rate. So if you set up DIY CO2, and set it to 1 bps, you can have your photoperiod at any time, and won't have to worry about turning it off/on.

Basically...

Love your tanks and they will love you back
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok so I was also wondering, because I've read mixed reviews from this. What are your guys thoughts on running the co2 into the intake of my filter to help better dissolve the co2 into the water?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode