weird diy co2 goop? baking soda? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
weird diy co2 goop? baking soda?

I'm using a DIY recipe provided in a recent TAG (journal of the Aquatic Gardener Assoc), and it has in the past worked enormously well for me. The key is protein powder, molasses, and some yeast nutrient.

Well, about two weeks ago, I made a batch with soy milk because I ran out of protein powder, and I got this jelatin-ous mass that bubbled up and up the tubes..it was totally gross..a GLOB. Well, I threw that batch out, the bottle and everything. I also used old tank water in that one.

The other day, I made a new batch with a new bottle and new protein powder (some Adkins stuff I bought at the grocery store, not the kind I used before), and again I got this jelly-like goop. I do not use gelatin by the way. I don't know what is causing it and because I'm not precise with my measurements (a little of this and a little of that), I'm not sure what the difference is. I'm wondering if it is the baking soda I've added? (I did not use baking soda in the past). Originally I thought it was the soy milk, but this time I didn't add the soy milk. But, I had added soy milk to another container and it did fine.

Any thoughts? I searced the web using "mead and baking soda" (I thought that would bring me more results than using diy co2) and found a case of baking soda causing mulitple explosions of the mead....

But, I just dont know. I don't want that goop getting in my tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Algae Grower

hrmm sounds like a chemical change....how high is this mixture in the bottle, before it rises?...is the yeast "nutrient", just plain old yeast?..also when you say you used soy milk instead, instead of what exactly?

Eheim Pimp Club Member #77
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Hello, the recipe is from TAG, and it has worked extremely well for me in the past. I leave a good amount of room in the bottle (several inches); but the consistency of this stuff is different. It bubbled up, and indeed "exploded" when I opened the top to dump it out.

I used soy milk instead of protein powder. Yeast nutrient you can buy from beer and wine making companies, and it is Ammonium Sulfate. However, that isn't the issue. As I've said, the protein powder and the yeast nutrient I've used over and over and over with great success. It creates a very powerful DIY co2.

I can't figure out what the difference is because the only differences are : 1). Old tank water, but I didn't use that in this recent batch 2). Baking soda. This is the only ingredient I did not use in the past. 3). Soy milk, although I successfully used this in another batch and it isn't in this recent batch. 4). The new protein powder, but this was used in the new batch and not the first one that resulted in the GLOB.

My only thought is the baking soda.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Also, the wonderful thing about this recipe is that you can dump out the old mix, leaving just a trace of the yeast in the bottom of the bottle, and mix up the sugar, protein powder, molasses, yeast nutrient, and start all over again without new yeast, and it starts up again almost immediately (within a few hours it is zooming again). It's a great recipe if I can figure out what the difference is that is causing me the GLOB.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscesgirl
Also, the wonderful thing about this recipe is that you can dump out the old mix, leaving just a trace of the yeast in the bottom of the bottle, and mix up the sugar, protein powder, molasses, yeast nutrient, and start all over again without new yeast, and it starts up again almost immediately (within a few hours it is zooming again). It's a great recipe if I can figure out what the difference is that is causing me the GLOB.
I reuse the yeast on all my conventional DIY CO2 bottles.

The thing about a recipe is that you really need to follow it. Ann Landers had a column she ran about once a year about how people were upset because one of her recipes did not turn out like it was supposed to but actually they had substituted every ingredient in the mix.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

That could be true, Rex. I'm terribly guilty of throwing away the measuring cups and doing everything by eye -- including all my cooking. I started a new batch with new yeast and no baking soda in another brand new bottle -- if this does the glob too, I will be more specific in my measurements and see if that makes all the difference. I may have to make a trip to the health food store and buy the protein powder mix I had been using in the past that had been successful (but that is an hour and a half away from me - I'm in the boonies). Maybe Adkins isn't all it's cracked up to be (hehe - I am not a proponent of the Adkins diet other than the importance of fiber in it).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Why not use a jello mix. I use them and they work great. I also use wine yeast instead of bread yeast because it gives a much longer working life in the mix. Also use juice bottles instead of soda bottles. Juice bottles are more stable and don't have such narrow necks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Why not use a jello mix. I use them and they work great. I also use wine yeast instead of bread yeast because it gives a much longer working life in the mix. Also use juice bottles instead of soda bottles. Juice bottles are more stable and don't have such narrow necks.

I am using juice bottles -- it is actually a nice, huge, orange juice bottle. I actually don't use gelatin because it is an animal product and I am a vegetarian. I do not prevent my animals from getting their meat protein, but it's just that it is a product I can do without and still have success.

I would consider pectin or agar if that works, although this goopy stuff I'm getting is quite gelatinous anyway.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode