CO2 into fluval intake - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 into fluval intake

I'm new to planted tanks. Has anyone had problems bubbling co2 into intake of fluval 304? Does it cause noise or "airlock"? Would like to know before I set this up. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Algae Grower

an inline CO2 reactor would be way better....

Eheim Pimp Club Member #77
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Welcome to the Planted Tank!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentaldisordeR
an inline CO2 reactor would be way better....
I am not so sure about that...

But regarding the Fluval, it depends a lot on bubble rate, overall oxygen saturation, and other factors. Why not try it? Connecting the airline to the inlet isn't overly difficult or expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
I agree with WP.. I ran C02 directly into my canister for a long time with no problems, give it a shot, as time allows and as you grow with experience, then you can decide when an external reactor is for you.

Craig

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:35 PM

It will work but jsut be beware of intake clogs. If your intake strainer gets clogged with debris (i.e. after pruning or cleaning) all of that suction will be shunted into your airline into your diy bottle. IF your bottle is a plastic liek a soda bottle it will implode from teh suction like in the movie starship troopers where the brain bug sucks out the guys brains and his face becomes shriveled. The yeast mix will get sucked into your tank and you will have a mess. To continue the analogy, the filter is the brain bug. anyways you get the point.
The checkvalve doesnt work in that direction. It prevents siphoning of water INTO the bottle, but never stops anyhting from getting sucked out.
USE a glass bottle or a more rigid plastic bottle. I use the plastic orange juice bottles since they are made of a more rigid plastic and will better resist implosion.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Are these real?

Oh yeah... good point. Do NOT shove the airline INTO the inlet. Just attach it on the outside so bubbles get sucked in while the filter is working, and raise up to the surface when the filter is turned off (for maintenance or due to power outages )

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Welcome to the Planted Tank!!

I am not so sure about that...

But regarding the Fluval, it depends a lot on bubble rate, overall oxygen saturation, and other factors. Why not try it? Connecting the airline to the inlet isn't overly difficult or expensive.
So an inline isnt better than sucking the co2 bubbles up the intake?...Guess i was misinformed, when i asked if it was better

Eheim Pimp Club Member #77
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Algae Grower

I was thinking about doing the same on my fluval 204 on my 30 gal I just converted. I'm going to do try DIY soon using this method. I'll let you know how it turns out. Have you tried it yet?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 12:49 AM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentaldisordeR
So an inline isnt better than sucking the co2 bubbles up the intake?...Guess i was misinformed, when i asked if it was better
Blanket statements like "X would be way better" without further reasons and conditions are not helpful. It's like asking: Does DIY CO2 work? and getting the answer: Pressurized is much better! See what I mean?

Here is my take on the advantage of either method:

Bubbling CO2 into filter
No modifications or additional materials needed
No danger of flooding due to broken connections
No backpressure into CO2 producing unit
Audible feedback if injection is working

External inline connector
No danger of airlocking filter

Anything I missed?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I personally wouldn't do it with a Fluval. Maybe your newer -04 series is better than the -03 series I had, but mine airlocked many times and eventually burned up about a month ago during a power outage.

- Sam P -

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
I go with the comment above. I have a 304. The flow path within the filter is not simple (as in Eheim filters). The intake runs down the foam pre-filter, along the bottom, and up through the pads and filter media of 3 baskets. I have looked at the 304 filter during periodic cleanings and I see evidence that intake water is missing out some of the modules. It is a clever, somewhat convoluted system. Not nearly as simple as the Eheim 2224, for example. I run CO2 into an Eheim 2224 with no problems at all. I would be cautious about running CO2 into the Fluval 304 because of the long flow path and possibility of gas locks.

When running CO2 into the intake of an Eheim 2224, the bubbles generally dissolve before they reach the cannister (along the 4' hose).

If the tank is small, Hagen Ladders work well.

Andrew Cribb
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 03:32 PM

I drilled a hole and put an air line connector in the pickup of my fluval 304 and I have not had any trouble for about 2 months now! But every once in a while it will blow some bubbles out of thr spraybar

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode