Water bottle feeding station- is it ok? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Water bottle feeding station- is it ok?

I want to be able to feed my kuhli loaches without the barbs getting it. I used a water bottle like how you make a fish trap but keep the cap on with a hole just big enough for a kuhli to enter, and exit holes at the other end so they can go out when they want. Made lots of holes in the sides (w/soldering iron) for water to flow through. I used it once already and it works perfectly- the kuhlis learned how to go in and out fairly quickly.

Only now I've read in some places that the plastic of these bottles can degrade and harmful chemicals get in the water. Normally I don't worry about it- for a bottle trap it's just in there long enough to catch the fish. But I was going to use this one two or three times a week, leave it in the tank for several hours at a time. Is there anything harmful in that?

Also I bought a specific water bottle for the longer shape- it contained Propel w/electrolytes. I peeled off the label, used peanut butter and rubbing alcohol to remove the glue residue. It has been thoroughly rinsed several times. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but is this thing I made safe for my fish? I've seen people cautioned not to use a water bottle to make a cave structure, so I wondered if using it for a feeding station is okay as it won't be in there permanently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Algae Grower

If you're worried, you could always look at getting clear PVC tubing or, at the minimum, maybe a reusable non-bpa bottle.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's a good idea I hadn't though of. Didn't realize there was clear PVC. I might re-make one soon- thanks.

|
|
|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Algae Grower

You won't find it at your local big box store, but it's available online. I keep looking at it as a hiding spot for my loaches that won't be as noticeable as regular pvc.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I even see there are end caps available! I want my feeding station to be clear because I like to see who's getting enough to eat, and watching them go in/out is fun.

If you use it to make a hiding spot, won't the fish feel exposed because it's clear? or would you mask the sides/top with some other decor or substrate. Curious.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode