3Likes
  • 2 Post By Hoppy
  • 4 Post By Olskule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Stand strength

I built this stand for a 10 gal and I am doing some rework to use it for a 25 gal acrylic I am redoing . The stand is made of 3/4 inch plywood . The top , bottom , middle shelf and all sides are glued and screwed together . I had not thought about it till my wife asked if it was going to hold the bigger tank . I think it will be fine , but now second guessing myself so I thought I would ask you guys . I am an over builder so want to be sure . I know the 25 will be lighter tank wise , but still be 200lbs or so . I figure the 10 was a 100lbs or more . Oh , it is 38" H X 12" D X 29" W .

Last edited by Leeatl; 03-11-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
does it feel solid when you sit on it? how about with you and your wife both? I'm sure with 3/4 plywood it's plenty strong.The commercial stands are usually supported by 1/2 ( or less) particle board,and I haven't heard of any failures with those.

You already have those 2 shelves ,which will help prevent racking.I've put 29's on less

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks . I would say that her and I and you could sit on it no problem . I just needed a second opinion . I tend to overthink things at times .

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Just plywood with no framing? Should be ok...but when I build a stand I always use some 2x material as a frame. My 75 gallon stand could probably hold a ton...literally. And my 40B stand was pretty sturdy too. I used 2x3's for both. I bought a stand one with a 65g tank and it was made from some pretty lame materials but it held up just fine. Is your stand as narrow as it looks in the pic? That would be my main concern I think. Looks really narrow...I'd be afraid if it tipping...but you'd be a better judge of that since you have the stand and can tell for sure how stable it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Get on it and wiggle a lot. If wiggling weight doesn't twist or move it, then you are most likely good. Vertical support from floor to each corner of the tank is critical. The shelves should act as cross ties to keep it from twisting. If the shelves are too thin and crack from twisting, you'll need to cross tie.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A 3/4" plywood box will hold almost any size tank. Longer tanks need a vertical 3/4" plywood piece in the middle, but, other than that, it is more than strong enough.
Leeatl and Leeatl like this.

Hoppy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It doesn't wiggle at all when level and my 200lbs on it . The shelves,top,and bottom are all 3/4 inch plywood . The pic makes it look narrower than it is . I had thought of the tip factor too , but I have a 30g long on a store bought stand that is the same depth and it has be fine for years . I an going to put the tank on and fill it outside before I set it in it's final place . Thanks for all the help .
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice stand! Yeah, 3/4" plywood on that size tank stand is mega-overkill; 1/2" ply would have been plenty, even without a frame, especially since you have it glued AND screwed together. Today's glues, if it's a quality glue and used correctly (with clamps), are actually stronger than the wood they hold together.

But even though your stand is overkill-solid, it has nothing on the homemade stand I just got with a 125 gallon aquarium (6' long) I bought. This stand had EIGHT 4x4 posts built into it and enough drywall screws and finishing nails to add a room onto a house! Luckily, since it was mostly screwed together, it came apart easily enough, so I'm reusing the 2x4 framing to rebuild the stand into something more furniture-like, since it will be a focal point of two rooms. I'm thinking about starting a journal here on my stand build and tank setup.

Olskule
Hoppy, Hoppy, Leeatl and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskule View Post
Nice stand! Yeah, 3/4" plywood on that size tank stand is mega-overkill; 1/2" ply would have been plenty, even without a frame, especially since you have it glued AND screwed together. Today's glues, if it's a quality glue and used correctly (with clamps), are actually stronger than the wood they hold together.

But even though your stand is overkill-solid, it has nothing on the homemade stand I just got with a 125 gallon aquarium (6' long) I bought. This stand had EIGHT 4x4 posts built into it and enough drywall screws and finishing nails to add a room onto a house! Luckily, since it was mostly screwed together, it came apart easily enough, so I'm reusing the 2x4 framing to rebuild the stand into something more furniture-like, since it will be a focal point of two rooms. I'm thinking about starting a journal here on my stand build and tank setup.

Olskule
Please do! It is always interesting to see how others arrive at the tank setup they want.

Hoppy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Please do! It is always interesting to see how others arrive at the tank setup they want.
Lol,I was just thinking,if I did that,you'd have a thread full of construction pics as I add an addition onto the house,before I ever began on the tank stand!

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode