Best yeast for diy co2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best yeast for diy co2?

I'm starting to set up more and more co2 bottles for my growing tanks. I was wondering what kind of yeast gives the best co2 output for its cost.
Thanks in advance,
Sundewd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower

so far the standard grocery store yeast, in the little packets is the best atleast for the price...theres also those alcohol yeasts and bakers yeast but they are way more expensive...aka your best bet is grocery store yeast

Eheim Pimp Club Member #77
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I am going to respectfully disagree.

I have been doing a little experimenting and have found that brewers yeast and champagne yeasts do a better job than bread yeasts and they are not very expensive at all!

11 grams of brewers yeast set me back 75 and 5 grams of champagne yeast was 50. I've gotten 6 reactors out of one packet of champagne yeast and expect a dozen out of the packet of brewers yeast.

Yeast is pretty inexpensive. Why not try a few varieties and let us know which one worked the best for you!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I bought one packet of PREMIER CUVEE wine yeast a year ago. I paid $0.65 for the packet. And I still have half the packet. This yeast works well at low temperatures and high temperatures. It's so hardy that when it's time to make a new bottle I just pour off most of the liquid leaving the yeast at the bottom of the bottle and it goes back to work.

Bread yeast is good for making bread and that's about it IMHO. Hagen doesn't use bread yeast in their packets.

If anyone is reading this and can't find the yeast I suggested then PM me and we can work out a deal.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeast is yeast you basicly got dry yeast and you bakers yeast which comes in a block. They use bakers yeast to brew beer. Never heard of wine yeast or champagne yeast.
There is also the quality of the yeast

Ivano
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
Yeast is yeast you basically got dry yeast and you bakers yeast which comes in a block. They use bakers yeast to brew beer. Never heard of wine yeast or champagne yeast.
There is also the quality of the yeast

Ivano
I have to disagree here. There are many varieties of yeast. Just because you never heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And I happen to live in the Home Brew Capitol of the US and the Micro Brew Capitol of the US. And NOT a single person or brewery that I know of uses bread yeast to brew beer.

Your statement reeks of ignorance. Yeast is yeast. Sure. And beer is beer, they are all the same. BS. Try using Google to search for home brewing supplies. You will find out there are about 50 commercial varieties of wine and Champagne yeast and close to 100 commercial beer yeasts. It might even surprise you to know there are several different yeasts used in making bread.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tons of info here http://www.wyeastlab.com/education/edinfo.htm and http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#4

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zapus; 10-04-2004 at 12:18 AM. Reason: addition
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
I am going to respectfully disagree.

I have been doing a little experimenting and have found that brewers yeast and champagne yeasts do a better job than bread yeasts and they are not very expensive at all!

11 grams of brewers yeast set me back 75 and 5 grams of champagne yeast was 50. I've gotten 6 reactors out of one packet of champagne yeast and expect a dozen out of the packet of brewers yeast.
Hey thanks for that info Mike! I was under the impression that it was far more expensive in comparison to the regular grocery store yeast...i think i mis-read the qsl article where they talk of the different yeasts...by the way where can you buy a pack of that yeast? thanks for clearing that out of my head!

Mark

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've been using Lavlin EC-1118 from the local homebrew store. Something like 75 cents a packet. There are also on-line homebrew stores if there's nothing in your neighborhood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 12:36 AM
Algae Grower

when you say local home brew store, do you mean a local liquor store?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
I have to disagree here. There are many varieties of yeast. Just because you never heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And I happen to live in the Home Brew Capitol of the US and the Micro Brew Capitol of the US. And NOT a single person or brewery that I know of uses bread yeast to brew beer.

Your statement reeks of ignorance. Yeast is yeast. Sure. And beer is beer, they are all the same. BS. Try using Google to search for home brewing supplies. You will find out there are about 50 commercial varieties of wine and Champagne yeast and close to 100 commercial beer yeasts. It might even surprise you to know there are several different yeasts used in making bread.
I JUST said i never heard of wine yeast or Champagne i NEVER said it doesnt exists. Here in Australia a lot of home brews use bakers yeast and some dont
Yeast is yeast in making co2 of couse there is the quality of yeast to consider . I use a dry yeast you make bread from and other things like danish and crossiants it works good for me.

Maybe i should learn to answer in a better manner . No need to get crusified for,Last time i try to reply to a message in good faith.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

its actually not based on quality...more like which can stand higher alcohol levels, well atleast in this case

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentaldisordeR
when you say local home brew store, do you mean a local liquor store?
No, these are specialty stores that sell yeast, malt, and other supplies to folks who brew their own beer and ferment their own grape juice. Try http://www.homebrewheaven.com/vHome.htm for an on-line example. Someone on the forum was running the CO2 from his mead production into a bucket of plants a while back.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 02:11 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
when you say local home brew store, do you mean a local liquor store
As mentioned, we mean a home brewer's supply shop. Let us know where you are in Long Island, and we can try and search one out for you. You can ask your folks to take you to one, we'll vouch it's for your aquarium, you aren't up to something else!

If you are at a complete loss, let me know. I am off next week and can swing by the shop I go to and mail you a packet of yeast to try.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode