over head sump idea - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
over head sump idea

trying to make an overhead sump for cheap.

water will be pumped from the tank into a long container(possibly a planter box)
the first section will be a plant basket with polyester fiber for mechanical filtration, then water will flow through a bag of sintered glass media (eheim substrat pro) for biological filtration. finally it will pass through a plant basket filled with hydroton planted with a pothos , then it will go into an overflow and back into the tank. another option I was thinking was to make a divider and make a fluidized bed with k1 kaldnes instead of the pothos, which would add a little more to the cost but would have better bio filtration(obviously).
NOTE: the planter/ container will be sitting on top of the aquarium, which means I will have to find a planter that is slightly longer than the aquarium itself, so that it can rest on the sides, or If I cant find one long enough, I will have to install some sort of brace in the middle of the tank to hold it on the left or right, probably made from a piece of acrylic .

what do you think? anything I could do to make it better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.png
Views:	3937
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	650049  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Kaldnes filters are not practical for small applications. You will get about 6 times more waste processing by using one of the many ceramic products on the market. I could link you a video that explains it if you want.

Also I'd imagine you would need a slightly lowish water level in the main tank, to cope with drainage if the power goes out if you didn't use an an overflow on the end like you are planning, so that is a good facet of your plan.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I agree on the water level in the main tank. I would also think about making a herbie overflow, even on such a small overhead sump. The second drain will be smaller and be completely submerged in the water to create a full siphon. Your current design will be loud IMO. Your other option is making your return more like a HOB filter. Cut a section out, bend it, or roll it. Then have the water cascade into the main tank over a larger area. You will also need a prefilter on the pump. That or a dirty water pump that can handle large debris, which I doubt you'll be finding in a size for an aquarium! You can also make the sump a little safer by adding holes across the top-front of it, so that if it overflows, it will spill onto the tank side first. A clogged sump/return will be an overflowing overhead sump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree with the herbie overflow or a beananimal. Totally silent and safe.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input everyone. Anyone know where If there's an article or video on how to build a herbie overflow? Can't seem to find a good guide on making one.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Take a look at the thread in my signature, it's my over head sump build. You can use a smaller box if you want and a brace that sits in the rim of the tank. If you go with this route you only need one drain and if it clogs overflows it spills back into the tank.

Also one drain isn't really all that loud if you keep the flow down

Lastly in my 25g there is enough space that keep the water level above the trim and still have enough space for the sump to drain down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd personally skip the biomedia altogether and just use hydroton/pothos for the whole thing.

A full-length sump has a huge amount of volume, its not like you need to squeeze a bunch of biofiltration into a small space.

I'd also argue that hydroton with emersed growth is probably a better biofilter than media anyways. Roots provide surface area and oxygen, plus they will remove nitrate as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode