Optimal Bubbles per Minute (BPM) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Optimal Bubbles per Minute (BPM)

I am having trouble finding in the Search's what the optimal BPM is... right now I have 2 2L bottles going and am getting about 1 bubble every 4.5 seconds.. which is about 13-15 BPM. The culture is only 2 hours old, so maybe it will speed up.. but not sure if I would want it to anyway!

Also, is the BPM a good measure of when the cultures need to be shaken or re-done? I would assume yes... so what is the range I should aim to keep it at?

And this is on a 50g.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
It's an impossible question to answer. Too many variables. But you will be hard pressed to OD a 50 gallon tank with DIY CO2.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 12:05 AM

Good luck trying to keep a 50 gallon tank "optimum anything" with yeast mix...a tank that large needs steady amounts of CO2 only provided with pressurized bottles.

As far as a bubble rate goes it all depends on your methods for diffusion of the CO2 ... powered reactor ? Ramp? Filter ? It all matters, also the water par's matter... whats the KH/GH like to accept the CO2 ?

Also, is the BPM a good measure of when the cultures need to be shaken or re-done? I would assume yes... so what is the range I should aim to keep it at?

Yes.. the bubble rate tells you when the culture is failing... I do not miss the yeast bottles at all but they do work great for smaller aquariums.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I may look into getting a Pressurized. Is it expensive to maintain the systems though?

I know the initial cost is ~$300 for a decent one, but what about refills, etc. And how often do you have to refill it?

I will see how well this DIY with 2 2L's works out and then make a decision.

To answer your water param questions:

KH = 4.5
GH = 5

and I just have a diffusor right now. looking into making a reactor if this Boyu glass difussor doesn't work well.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You can set up a manual system for around $150. And how often you have to fill it depends on how large a cylinder you get. A 10 lb cylinder should last close to a year and normally runs $10-$20 to get it refilled.

If you want more info on how to get a system up and running for around what I quoted just ask.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 04:58 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I stuck with DIY for a 29g and then my newer 46g for a couple of years, but I never was diligent enough to keep them refreshed. So, after some searching around, I ordered one of the all-in-one regulators w/ solenoid, got a new 10 lb aluminum tank w/ CO2 and built a DIY external reactor. The total price was under $250. The price for a CO2 tank refill is in the $9-$11 range, and with 10 lbs, I'm expecting my current tank to last around 12 months.

I've decided that the hour or so I save with not having to wrestle with the DIY CO2 plus the ongoing costs of the pressurized system ($10-$20/yr) actually makes a pressurized system cheaper in the long run. Then again, it's easy to rationalize that after the initial expenditure .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode