CO2 reactor + heaters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
CO2 reactor + heaters

I got this idea but would like to consult with others.

6 dim. clear acrylic pipe lets say 14 long made in to CO2 reactor with bio balls and 2 heaters installed using cord grips.
I was thinking to go with Mazzei Co2 infusion method but I dont like little bubbles floating in my tank.
Any cons or pros doing it this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
wouldnt need bioballs unless you wanted to use them as the filter...and other than that...probably really inefficient way to heat the tank

youre reactor would probably be the proper temp while the tank would be inconsistent...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd agree you probably wouldn't need the bioballs for CO2 absorption, but it wouldn't hurt either other than slightly slowing your flow. This would be similar to an AM1000, although they are only 2.5" and not 6".

As far as heating goes, that would work just fine. Same has putting in an inline heater like a hydor or similar.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Killacross
So you think will be better to separate this two functions make two separate reactors one for CO2 and one for heaters ?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheaman
That was the idea for bio balls to slow down the flow and force extra circulation in the reactor.
I have 6” tube that’s why I was thinking of using it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A 6 inch diameter tube would have very low flow velocity in it, so the CO2 bubbles would just float to the top and stay there. You should try to get a high enough flow velocity in the tube to keep the bubbles suspended in the flow for a few seconds, for best efficiency.

I don't see a good reason not to put a heater or heaters in the CO2 reactor, except that if the CO2 bubble gets too big, it could cause the heater to get too hot and fail. The water is all that keeps the heater "cool". If I wanted to try this I would add a needle wheel type powerhead to recirculate the CO2 bubble, chopping it up into tiny bubbles. But, that gets you back to pumping some mist into the tank.

Maybe the 6 inch tube should be used for something else?

Hoppy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
thats exactly what i'm doing. I built a diy inline heater with a 14 inch tube, and i plumb a co2 line into the bottom. it's like a combo rex grigg style reactor and heater.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

I just bought an inline heater. This is designed to shut down if it has no water in it. My reactor is 2'' in diameter and about 20'' long...it gets pretty much diffuses all the co2. Then the heater is after that. I didnt have to mess with any connectors or any heaters that may break, and its cleaner. Look at my tank journal and you will see it in the stand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
People have been installing heaters in CO2 reactors for years. reducing the size of the reactor is only necessary if the pump you have can't support it. Nothing wrong with bioballs, I use them in my reactor and they can only help, especially in a reactor that size. I am not sure why so many seemed detracted from the idea of putting something in the reactor for disturbance, but I never have seen a drawback from it.

I have seen reactors that big. They do work, you just need the right equipment to operate.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for all the good advice
System will look like this Blue line 55 hd pump -- nu-clear 533 -– nu-clear 547 –- UV sterilizer and this 6” reactor with heaters all plumed with 1” PVC.
Well if it doesn’t work I can modify some things.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Planted Member

I had read that a few people that put their heaters in the co2 reactors had the glass on the heater break. That is what stopped me from doing it. I will try to find the thread about it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
i think having a bio ball in the reactor will make too much noise. I have some filter floss in mine to help break down the co2 and give a little more surface area for bacteria
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

I didnt put anything in my reactor. Less stuff in there, less stuff to clean up. And I get 100% diffusion @ 4 bps

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
I just bought an inline heater. This is designed to shut down if it has no water in it. My reactor is 2'' in diameter and about 20'' long...it gets pretty much diffuses all the co2. Then the heater is after that. I didnt have to mess with any connectors or any heaters that may break, and its cleaner. Look at my tank journal and you will see it in the stand.

WOW....I just comprehended the size of an inline heater!

it is IMPOSSIBLE to find 1 person who regrets going pressurized

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode