Airline T's for multi DIY co2 Bottles? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Airline T's for multi DIY co2 Bottles?

will using the T's work? or is it best to have a seperate airline tube running all the way to the aquarium for each bottle? I'd figure it would be fine, but better safe than sorry

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
I use T's and a check valve for each bottle.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i am surprised that check valves dont cause a strong decrease in gas output. have you noticed any differences between using one and not using one?

you would only need 1 check valve if you use a T to connect 2 bottles together, right? What if you needed 3 bottles together? can you just use 2 T's and plug an end off the 2nd T and the gas would move it self throughout the T's and airline tubing enough to finally reach the main airline tubing heading to the tank?

Cliff

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I use 2 T's with 3 bottles, I also use a gas seperator bottle almost full of water (which is a 16oz water bottle) with 2 holes drilled in top, for input/output from the 3/ 2L bottles, to the reactor,
check valves are your friend
I don't want any of the yeast mixture getting into tank.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 12:17 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some people use multiple check valves when using multiple DIY bottles. This way, the flow wouldn't stop when you just switch one bottle. I use check valve after the gas seperator. If you don't use gas seperator, be careful when you shake the DIY bottle. If some solution goes into the check valve, it will get sticky (sugar+water) and cause irregular output rate.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How do you make the gas seperator bottle? any diagrams around that will hint to it?

Cliff
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar
How do you make the gas seperator bottle? any diagrams around that will hint to it?
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/bigdiyco255.jpg

Craig

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 03:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
umm... maybe i've misunderstood check valves, but as far as I know they don't prevent liquid flow up into the tank, only flow reversal. this means they're just to stop flow back into the bottles from the tank, not the other way around. if they prevented flow from the bottles to the tank, then your CO2 wouldn't be able to get into the tank in the first place.

in my experience, check valves take a minimum pressure to open and allow flow to cross them. in DIY CO2 setups, flow can be too weak to open the valve until a significant build up occurs, causing burps or dribbling flow, instead of a constant, regular flow.

I don't use them, and I've never had:
1) yeast mix flow up into the tank (that's why you don't fill the bottles to the top
2) water backup into the yeast bottles (that's why you allow the bottles to equalize with room temperature before connecting them to the airline)

I do, however, use a bubble counter bottle (20 oz.) with the above mentioned setup (2 holes, plain water, etc). works like a charm for keeping that "gunk" out of the tank and letting CO2 in.

Oqsy

Last edited by Oqsy; 09-29-2004 at 12:51 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqsy
umm... maybe i've misunderstood check valves, but as far as I know they don't prevent liquid flow up into the tank, only flow reversal. this means they're just to stop flow back into the bottles from the tank, not the other way around. if they prevented flow from the bottles to the tank, then your CO2 wouldn't be able to get into the tank in the first place.
Well, you are absolutly correct ogsy. but I use them as a preventative measure, I had them on the bottles before using the gas separator/bubble counter, which in itself is a checkvalve,
the checkvalves will indeed stop a little mix from entering the bubblecounter because they will hold a fair amount of mix "if" some does indeed make its way into the line.
I do also however have a checkvalve placed between the reactor and bubble counter, incase something does go wrong, if gas is to weak to stop water from entering bubble counter, in turn filling it and running back into 2L bottles..

Quote:
in my experience, check valves take a minimum pressure to open and allow flow to cross them. in DIY CO2 setups, flow can be too weak to open the valve until a significant build up occurs, causing burps or dribbling flow, instead of a constant, regular flow.
I use 3 2L bottles, so that really isn't an issue, there is plenty of pressure. I change the bottles weekly, not allowing for complete breakdown of the yeast mix.. which I am getting tired of doing, going pressurized soon.

#'s 1) & #'s 2) below are no brainers, so I won't comment on those.

Quote:
I don't use them, and I've never had:
1) yeast mix flow up into the tank (that's why you don't fill the bottles to the top
2) water backup into the yeast bottles (that's why you allow the bottles to equalize with room temperature before connecting them to the airline)

I do, however, use a bubble counter bottle (20 oz.) with the above mentioned setup (2 holes, plain water, etc). works like a charm for keeping that "gunk" out of hte tank and letting CO2 in.

Oqsy

Craig

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
everything you said is true, but it doesn't explain your comment that i quoted...

Quote:
That doesn't have anything to do with where you put the check valve, how many bottles you use, etc. It is a one way valve. a check valve is not your friend *because* it keeps yeast mixture from getting into the tank. if it is your friend, then it's because it keeps tank water from getting into your yeast mixture.

Quote:
the checkvalves will indeed stop a little mix from entering the bubblecounter because they will hold a fair amount of mix "if" some does indeed make its way into the line.
"fair amount" ? not really. unless your check valve is quite large, it will hold less than a mL of fluid. I've never seen any much larger than a thimble. even if you had a "large" check valve, it still won't stop any backup once the ball is rolling. the valve will gladly open for liquid just as it would for gas if it's under the same amount of pressure.

A gas separator / overflow bottle is the safest way of keeping CO2 mixture from getting into the tank, and check valves should not be promoted for this purpose.

Oqsy
(with a Q, not a G)

p.s. WfxXx, I'm not trying to pick on you, just want to keep things clear for people who are new to DIY CO2 and looking for the best design.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am still confused as to how you make the Gas Seperator.

Is it just a bottle of water (half full), with an input and output?

Cliff
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

yes, with two key points:

1) airtight

2) the input (from CO2 bottle) is under the water about an inch and the output is above the water line... this keeps anything that's not a gas in solution while the CO2 bubbles out to go on to the tank with the gradual increase in pressure.

Oqsy
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 02:02 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
oqsy, the gas separator is quite a nifty idea...thanks for sharing...i want to make one too

i was just wondering if there isn't any CO2 loss due to the inlet being submerged in the water....if the inserted tubes are both suspended above the water, would there be a flaw in the process? i am assuming that whatever is accidentally sucked from the yeast solution while shaking will just drip down to the water then CO2 will come out to the other tube...any comments?

TIA
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

not my idea, but i'm glad you like it!

i've seen it around on several boards. i think the krib might be the first place i remember it being posted... anyway, it's becoming a pretty common part of a diy yeast setup...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

p.s. WfxXx, I'm not trying to pick on you, just want to keep things clear for people who are new to DIY CO2 and looking for the best design.

Not a problem...married 23 years with 3 teens, some guy on a forum cannot give me a hard time

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode