How many gallons per DIY co2 bottle? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
How many gallons per DIY co2 bottle?

For my 50g of water, is 1 2L bottle w/ 2 cups sugar and 1 packet yeast enough? or should I consider making a 2nd? is there a ratio to this? could I just add more sugar or more yeast to the 1 bottle?

my KH is currently 4.5 and pH at 7.1 (during the day, and 7.0 at night). which is about 12ppm co2. I figure I need more because I have 4wpg lights.

right now I just have an airstone as a difuser, but will be making that difuser that Fudge (or a name similar to that) made. Maybe that will make the co2 difuse more and enter the water stream better?

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 12:21 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
There are many factors that determine what the CO2 concentration in your water ends up being, bottle size is just one of them. For a 50 gal tank, one 2l bottle seems too little to really make an impact, and it surprises me that you get measurable levels when letting the CO2 pearl out of an airstone.

For a 2l bottle, I would use one cup of sugar and a quarter teaspoon of yeast, and rather than increasing concentrations I would increase the number and/or volume of bottles. I had three 3l bottles on my 100 gal tank before I broke down and spent big bucks for pressurized. But as I said, the number of bottles is just one little thing in the big DIY CO2 game.

Consider an active method of dissolving CO2, most conveniently using your canister filter or HOB, the exact pro's and con's of each method have been discussed many times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks for your input.

i will definately see what happens once I get the co2 to dissolve better first. i may hook it up to a duetto soon to dissolve it. i have a fluval canister and have heard too many negatives with that brand and co2 entering it.

as for the airstone, my lfs uses it for their 20g's and it seems to be working well, but I personally see too many bubbles to trust it right now.

so basically, if after using a better dissolving method, if I am still only getting 12ppm or so, I should add a 2nd bottle, and use less sugar in each?

Cliff

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 05:40 AM
mpb
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use only one 2l bottle on my 50g tank. I use the Hagen ladder and the output of the filter is right on top of it, there is enough water flow to dissolve the CO2. Having no surface agitation also helps.

Fluorite , Pressurized CO2 with Hagen ladder, Fluval 304, 110watts PC 6500K + 60watts Corallife Trichromatic
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Because of the way my tank was originally setup with the background it would be near impossible to fix the output of my Fluval to not agitate the surface. Is this going to be a major problem, or will I just have to add more co2 to allow for the greater amount of co2 loss from exiting the water due to teh water agitation?

Cliff
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
I use 3/ 2L bottles w/ 1 1/2 cups sugar 3/4 teaspoons yeast w/ 1/2 teaspoon bakingsoda on a 46g. which is very effective, but will be going pressurized soon, getting tired off changing bottles weekly..
But you will need a much better method of desolving your c02, an airstone is no good on a 50g, build you one of these for less than $10 put it on the outflow side of filter/canister its about as effective as you will get with a DIY system.

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode