DIY Driftwood ~With a Little Rot?~ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
DIY Driftwood ~With a Little Rot?~

Hey PTF!

I got a really cool looking piece of wood that I cant ID today and I would really like to use it in my 20g riparium. The wood has been dry'ish in someones yard for who knows how long. I washed it of and noticed a little rotting. Small pieces of it fell off and it looks a little 'rotty.' Is it still usable? If used, the bottem half would be underwater while the top is out. I plan to treat it in a tub of water with salt and maybe bleach (if thats OK) for along time. Does that sound good? Would it be aquarium safe?
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have only had BAD experiences with bleach. I would not use it on anything. Even with the best rinse, it will still leach into the wood, and then back into the tank at some point. Stick to a long soak in either plain water, or salt. Just make sure you rinse extremely well and maybe let it sit in some plain water after the salt.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paneubert View Post
I have only had BAD experiences with bleach. I would not use it on anything. Even with the best rinse, it will still leach into the wood, and then back into the tank at some point. Stick to a long soak in either plain water, or salt. Just make sure you rinse extremely well and maybe let it sit in some plain water after the salt.
Ok, no bleach then! I have been wetting it then scrapping it and it seems to be getting smoother.
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

and have a long talk with whoever's yard that came out of to make sure there's no danger of pesticides, etc in the wood. A water bath won't help that in the slightest.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargonchipmunk View Post
and have a long talk with whoever's yard that came out of to make sure there's no danger of pesticides, etc in the wood. A water bath won't help that in the slightest.
I am sure that they dont use pesticieds. They really never take care of their yard or house, so I think I am safe there.
Jake

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

even if they don't the city might if you live in a suburban/urban area. Any mosquito trucks? Busy street? Just trying to save you the heartache of watching fish die and not knowing why. If you're away from the hustle and bustle, then you should certainly be fine.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Nope, no chemicals that I know of. Unless you count a little paint on very top of the wood that wont touch water. Should the wood be really soft when it is wet? I have been cleaning it with hot water and a brush and I have been getting alot of the outer wood off. There is also alot a little crumbly woody stuff coming off. Any ideas?
Jake

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
If you're having all this trouble already hopefully it won't continue.

I've done 1:20 bleach:water dips on plants in the past.

Good luck,
-Andrew
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
If you're having all this trouble already hopefully it won't continue.

I've done 1:20 bleach:water dips on plants in the past.

Good luck,
-Andrew
It isn't really trouble, it's just me nervous of messing up! I was just wondering if the "crumblys" is bad.
Thanks!
Jake

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Could I add it right now? I realized that since I dont need it to sink, I could just add it right now right? I thourougly scrubed it with a brush and very hot water, so it should be sorta sterile right?
Jake

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

was said hot water boiling? If so, then you would be good. "hot" in our terms is very different from "hot" from bacteria/pests perspective sometimes.

The problem with the "crumblie" areas of wood is that the wood is already breaking down. You should try and get as much of this off as you can being left with only solid wood. (unless you have an army of bristlenose plecos which would probably LOVE that lol)

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Wood that has already rotted isn't good to use, but you can usually wirebrush the rotted parts off, or pressure wash it off. When I use bleach on something like this I follow it with a water/Prime soak to remove the chlorine. That has never given me a problem.

Hoppy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
I just picked up some wood from a nearby small lake. I never though of the possiblity of pesticides. We have had problems in th area with west nile virus and they have been spraying various areas. I got these near a bike trail and I guess it could have been sprayed at one time. I did boil them first and now I have them soaking. How about if I bought some feeder guppies and tested the wood out that way. Would that be a good idea? I would hate to loose my collection of cories and other tropical fish once I tried to introduce the wood to my tank. Also as far as loose ends, how could I clean that up. Cut it and then sand it smooth? One end is frayed a little bit.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Wood that has already rotted isn't good to use, but you can usually wirebrush the rotted parts off, or pressure wash it off. When I use bleach on something like this I follow it with a water/Prime soak to remove the chlorine. That has never given me a problem.

Good idea with the Prime! I never thought of that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode