diy glass marbles filter media - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
diy glass marbles filter media

take a glass marbles (amount that fit your filter)

now take sandpaper the coarser the better
you sand the marble until you feel the rougher wash them
and put in the media section in the filter

they will be heavy so watch out
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any idea how effective this would be compared to a variety of other filter media options? Why marbles?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

you make them vary porous and large surface area

because they most common (at least here)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:39 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very porous? You get just some pores on the surface, normal biomedia has deep pores through all volume...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nylon pot scrubbers, for example, are dirt cheap and offer crazy amounts of space to colonize if you're looking for cheap, DIY filtration media.

As near as I can figure, the marbles would be 99% solid glass, with a slight colonization of the scratched up surface. Has anyone tested out what this actually allows for bio filtration in comparison to a similar sized sponge layer for example? (I would presume even a coarse, rinseable sponge would offer significantly more bio colonization than the marbles, cost less, not require sanding, and it's easy to rinse/re-use, and works as mechanical filtration on top of that)

I guess I'm missing why marbles.

(although I am looking to use marbles for some valves I want to design, I don't think they're well suited for filtration media)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
You'd have much better results using lava rocks than those marbles. You can buy enough to fill a 10 gallon aquarium at a hardware store for under $10.
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:48 PM
Algae Grower

diy glass marbles filter media

I use these. Kinda pricey but do there job very well

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/...FZaEaQodOOEGbw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:40 AM
Planted Member

Lava rock...... Cheap and porous

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:41 AM
Planted Member

The smaller the particle size the larger the surface area / mass. Say one of those marbles had a mass 1.27g and a surface area of 6.4 square cm. When broken down to infinite pieces you would gain surface area without gaining mass. Once you reach a point (smallest) the media will no longer filter properly.

If you want to use marbles I would suggest soaking them in a caustic solution, drain-o for several days, high pH will etch glass

Learning what I can..

Last edited by MCSLABS; 06-03-2016 at 01:00 AM. Reason: grammar
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Lay each marble on a concrete floor. Hit with a hammer, breaking them up into small pieces. Result: much more surface area, with most of it not polished. Also, reduces bottled up stress, and is cheaper than tranquilizers.
Diana, Diana, TaylorTurner and 7 others like this.

Hoppy
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 11:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Lay each marble on a concrete floor. Hit with a hammer, breaking them up into small pieces. Result: much more surface area, with most of it not polished. Also, reduces bottled up stress, and is cheaper than tranquilizers.

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 12:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Why not just throw in a hand full of gravel. It would be more effective than marbles, cost less and you don't have to do any sanding. Bio media is all about surface area and even water flow. Lava rock makes pretty lousy bio media but would be many, many more times efficient than marbles. If you break them up that would effectively give you more surface (still a fraction of what a decent media would get you) but you won't get even flow through it and will end up with pieces packed together.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Nylon pot scrubbers, for example, are dirt cheap and offer crazy amounts of space to colonize if you're looking for cheap, DIY filtration media.
I like this idea. Which kind would you use, the ones that are like a round thing made out of net, or the ones that are kind of flat and thin?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Lol
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown View Post
I like this idea. Which kind would you use, the ones that are like a round thing made out of net, or the ones that are kind of flat and thin?
The round, hair net looking kind. Some folks over at MFK at one point had done the math on various materials and their surface area. Nylon pot scrubbers were second only to the specialized clay material sold by various filter manf. that's super expensive.

Pot scrubbers were the next best option, and at 1/10th the cost. I ordered them from some bulk supplier when they went on sale, $50 was enough to fill 40g of sump.

The only downside, (or maybe upside) is that my sump looks like a unicorn threw up in it.

edit: Here's the thread. It's worth a read if you've never seen it before, some non-intuitive results (I thought).

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...r-media.88677/

If it's not OK to cross link to another forum I can remove it, but this is just really solid data.
uptown and uptown like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode