Flourite Dust- How to fix it/ DIY coffee filter "filters" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Flourite Dust- How to fix it/ DIY coffee filter "filters"

Hey guys,
As I'm sure all of you who have used Flourite know, it makes a Megaton of dust. I thought I'd make a thread on how to help clear up the dust it makes.
Before you add it to the tank:
1. Get a bucket and rinse it. (put half a bag in the bucket. Then allow the hose to continually run in the bucket, stirring occasionaly. This allows for the light dusty stuff to rise to the surface and helps with clouding.) Rinse till it clears enough to where you can see the Flourite on the bottom. (You WILL NOT rinse all of it out. So when its clear just stop.) Rinsing usually takes about 15 minutes per half bucket.
2. Some people say to dry the dust after rinsing, using a garage towel.

Step 2 is optional (I've never done it.)

In the tank it goes:
1. If newly planting, add enough water ontop of the Flourite to equal about 1 inch of water. Plant all plants. When filling a tank a good method to use is the cup and saucer method. Take a plate, flip it upside down, and place a bowl or teacup on it normal ways. Then put your water source blowing into it, so as to not disturb your substrate.
2. Fill up the tank. and then.... POOF your tank is as cloudy as fog in Europe. Have no fear though your precious plants shall bear through it.
3. Now setup all of your filtration. Many people recommend using carbon and purigen at this point as they help with the clouding.

Heres the reason this is under the DIY section.

I got tired of my tank being cloudy so I wondered what I could do to help it. My wonderful mother suggested that I use coffee filters. So I gave it a shot. This method works best with HOBs, never tried it with canisters.
To make coffee filter "filters"
A. Get coffee filters and paper towels and scissors. And whatever type of filter cartridges you use.
B. Now depending on whether or not you have two fillter cartridge slots, will determine your next path. If you have 2 slots procede to step C1. If not procede to step C2.
C1. Take one of your two filter cartridges and cut it along the edge, emptying the carbon.
C2. Leave your filter as is.
D. Now take a paper towel and cut it so that it will fit evenly to make a single layer in the filter. If you did step C2 put it on the side with the blue filter pad. Do the same with the coffee filters. (You may have to overlap to make the layer). Do NOT make double layers of either as it will instantly clog your filter.
E. Insert the filter cartridge back into your filter.
(If you have one of those empty cartridges that are used for
Your water will partially flow over the filters. This is to be expeted. It may look like no water is flowing through, but trust me it is.
These filters should be changed every 5+ hours. I would change it in the morn. Then again at lunch, then again at about 5. Then right when I went to bed. These really do help.

Now back to clearing up that cloudiness.
4. Now you are ready to do a 50% water change. Refill it.
5. At this point you can add some of those settling chemicals. I've never used them, so I don't know the results.
6. Doing this process you should start to see results in the next day or so, and then it should substantially clear up in about 3-4 days.
7. If cloudiness persists, do another 50% water change.

If someone wants to try coffee filter "filters" in an old canister let me know how that goes.

Thats about it folks,
Hope this helps,
Your pal,

Piano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode