about a DIY C02 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
about a DIY C02

I was in wal-mart the other day, saw this...

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t.../IMG_0340a.jpg

contained 9ft of tubing, 1 T Connector, 2 valves, 1 Airstone. I know I would need a few more parts...

Currently have 10g tank... should I use a 2L bottle or stick with a 1L?
and..
What else would I need..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
You might want to get a better method of diffusion. Those airstones release gas in large bubbles. You want something that will produce very fine bubbles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
for diffusion just stick the end of the tube in your filter intake or a powerhead,that is one the best ways to diffuse co2 and the cheapest and simplest.and on the bottle a 1L bottle is fine,and you are set for diy co2

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the info, I use a fluval 1, I dont see anywhere where i could put it, I know my Fluval 3 has one, but thats way to big for my 10g.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Fluval 1 is their internal filter? From the pictures, it looks like the intake is covered by a grill near the bottom. You could let the gas enter there or place a simple diffuser underneath the intake.

:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

here's a pic of the filter...

http://www.aquakoiaquatics.com/ebayp...rnalfilter.jpg

Is it possible to cut a small hole in the grill an insert the tubing?

if I were to use air stone is it possible adding like pantyhose to like slow it down?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktixan View Post
here's a pic of the filter...

http://www.aquakoiaquatics.com/ebayp...rnalfilter.jpg

Is it possible to cut a small hole in the grill an insert the tubing?

if I were to use air stone is it possible adding like pantyhose to like slow it
down?
if the suction is strong enough you can just stick the tube right by the intake and wrap a rubber band around it to keep it in place.or you can cut a small hole on the grill like you had in mind.i cut a small at the grill of my intake on a HOB filter
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Algae Grower

Can I use this diffusion method with a whisper power filter? If so, would I put the CO2 tubing in the bottom of the tube of the filter that sticks down into the tank?
I tried a Hagen Mini Elite filter for a diffusor, but the one I got (it was hard to find, seems they're being phased out or changed) was slightly different from the one everybody seems to use as a diffusor. There was occasionally a large bubble, and no small bubbles. After a couple of months, it started making an awful noise and I removed it. Now I have an airstone, but it also occasionally gives off a big bubble instead of many small bubbles. My drop checker is blue. My plants just aren't doing that well!

-30 gallon planted tank, set up for 6 months
-raised T-5 Fixture, 1x39W 10K/460NM, 7 hours a day
-whisper power filter with ceramic rings in one side and nothing in the other side
-DIY CO2, diffused with airstone; drop checker is blue
-airstone
5 harlequin rasboras
3 white clouds
2 black phantom tetras
1 oto
Java ferns, anubias, crypts, anacharis, banana plant, small sword plant, 4-leaf clover, dwarf sag, bolbitus fern
ph 6.2, nitrites and ammonia 0, have been using EI dosing for 3 weeks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So for giggles, i kinda drew up what I think may work with my 10g tank...

ok so... the 1L bottle marked will be the yeast batch, in the lid, I used the check valve

from there it will go a 2nd bottle containing water only, connected my a T connector.

then we follow the fun lil blue line, into the amazing fish tank i drew via paint.
the lil green box is currently a airstone, but I will most likely change it.

does this work? any tips?

Let's Go Red Wings!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode