ADA style stand, too narrow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA style stand, too narrow?

Hi,

I am looking to build an ADA style stand for a custom tank. The tank will be 30x12x14. Can I build the stand so the tank sits flush on all sides, or will it be too narrow and prone to tip over?

If so, how wide do you think I will need to go to be stable?

Thank you,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I think if the stand is 5 feet tall it might be prone to be tipped over too easily, but if it is 3 feet tall I doubt that you would have a problem. In order to tip over, the 200 or so pounds of tank/water/substrate has to lift up so it pivots around the front or back edge of the base. The taller the tank, the more leverage you have to lift it. And, if this sits against a wall you could always attach it to the wall near the top to prevent any chance of tipping.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
You can always add some ballast to the base to help keep it stable if you like. A box full of fishing weights, a few weight-lifting discs...build it with a trough in the base and pour some concrete to make the bottom.

Counterweight will keep it stable, just make sure your floor can support all the weight.

Make sure it can't slide off...a rubber mat or something under the tank. These enerally aren;t issues, but if your tank is in a heavy traffic area, or you have little ones...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Several years ago I used odds and ends of scrap iron in the base of a cabinet. It never even came close to tipping over. Pouring concrete in the base is an interesting idea, but it could make moving the stand difficult. Since this will be a 12 inch by 30 inch base, concrete pavers might fit nicely, and would be easily removable. And a shelf could lay on top of them.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those are excellent ideas. Thank you. I feel much better about going ahead with the stand and if I need to, adding ballast or attaching the cabinet to the wall if it seems unstable.

I was considering making the stand about 30" tall, so perhaps I won't need to do either of those things, but I like having a plan, just in case.

Thanks again,

John

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode