Concrete background with steel? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Zippybear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Concrete background with steel?

Hey Guys,

I was going to make some concrete backgrounds. I know that many people use Closed Cell Polystyrene Board to shape and then concrete over them.
I also have done some searches and found that many people say that 316 Stainless Steel is safe for aquarium use.

My questions are these:
  1. Could I use Hardware cloth (Galvanized Steel) instead of the foam to form the structure for the concrete or would it still corrode in the concrete?
  2. Has anyone done this in their aquarium and had success with it?

I know McMaster Carr sells 316 Stainless Steel mesh like the Hardware Cloth, but I don't want to spend the money. So that's out of the question.

My assumption is that it would corrode unless I sealed the concrete with a 100% waterproof sealer, such as epoxy. I don't want to use epoxy, so if that is the case I'll just stick to the foam and PVC.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 02:38 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I don't see why not. Using foam is easy to shape and keep things light weight.
The hardware cloth looks tough to shape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would stick with just the foam and use a tool to form it, the tool if I remember right looks like a hand held cheese grater. You can also use the spray foam and just spray it on the back of the tank and then form it the way you want. I personally would have misgivings with galvanized but thats just me and I am weird that way and it could be perfectly safe.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the replies guys!

After more thought I decided to just stick with the foam and PVC. I was curious because I'll be making a tree stump with branches and the hardware cloth is rigid and it's really not that hard to work with.
Now I'm just going to use some thin foam to form the trunk and PVC pipes to form the limbs. It'll be in the corner which is why I'm using thin foam - so it's easily bendable without breaking (I can always heat it if needed). I was thinking about using the trunk of the tree as a place to hide equipment/and or turning it into an "overflow" for my canister filter, but I'm not sure if I want to do that or leave it hollow.

I still need to plan a little bit more.
thedood and thedood like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode