First time sump build - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Leeatl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
First time sump build

So I got a great deal on a Amiricle wet/dry filter that I am using as a sump . My first sump so I have had a few questions in other threads , so I thought I would do a build thread .

First I had asked about using a sponge prefilter on the Herbie drain and got some great advice . I use pond prefilter sponges on my HOB's and after looking at a new one I had remembered that they come with a plastic insert to hold the sponge . Here it is , the black holy thing.....

I took a PVC male threaded to slip and after sanding down the threads some it fit into the black sponge holder perfectly . Another threaded piece on the other end and in it went . I will see how well it works . I figure it will be easy to take the sponge and clean it weekly with WC's . The bottom pic is the is the finished product.......

Last edited by Leeatl; 02-20-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now for the emergency drain......I had an idea . I put a female threaded piece on the end and using a male threaded piece I can get about 1 inch of height adjustment . That with the valve on the main drain I am hoping I can dial this in fairly easily . The first pic the pieces and the second id the finished product.......I have done some work on the sump itself also . I will post more tomorrow .

Last edited by Leeatl; 03-11-2017 at 04:48 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got the sump up and running today.....the lid for the return side was missing so I cut one out of glass and it works great . I cut a glass baffle and siliconed it in place at the bottom . The blue shelf holds Matrix with a smaller size piece of eggcrate on top with filter pad on top of that . I have posted another thread about how I was using the overflow box as an internal canister filter and that is where the Matrix came from . I had 3 bags of it and the tray could only hold 2 so I put the third one in the return section and a handful left over on top of the filter pad for now...lol I had to use 90's because of the height of the cabinet space , but it is working fine . I just used the 2 180 gph pumps I was using in the internal canister , but I think I need a little bigger . My birthday is coming up so a few hints to the wife are in order...lol
I will wait and see if the drain sponge and adjustable emergency drain work out . It is very easy to set as it is . Hope you enjoyed reading this .
seandelevan and seandelevan like this.

Last edited by Leeatl; 02-20-2017 at 11:19 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would position the emergency overflow to drain before the filtering. If this is a herbie overflow, the stand pipe should have a minimal amount of water flowing down it all the time. I guess it doesn't really matter since the majority of the water is going through the filter via the full siphon. However, is most of your media just sitting in the last chamber? If the water isn't forced through it, it will just go around it and it will not filter well. The left side of the filter is a little cloudy/humid so I can't really make it out on my PC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The blue shelf on the left holds Matrix with a smaller size piece of eggcrate on top with filter pad on top of that . All that is in the right side is a bag of matrix and a bag of crushed coral . They get enough flow to do what they need to do I think . The way the top is on the left side made it so I could only get one pipe on that side and I wanted that top over that side because it fits well . This was a wet/dry filter , I have just turned it into a sump . It is on a FW planted tank and it is doing a much better job than the way I had it all setup in the overflow itself . I have a trickle going down the emergency drain , so little that bypass is not a concern . The sump holds all the water when I turn off the pumps and the emergency drain keeps the DT from overflowing if I turn the main drain off so all is good...lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode