In depth questions about DIY CO2 (Jello Method) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face In depth questions about DIY CO2 (Jello Method)

Hey fellows,

My first post and I got some questions for you experts on Planted Tanks. So I just made myself a DIY CO2 system (1st timer) using the yeast-jello method. I'm getting really slow output (2 bubbles per 2-3 seconds), I was wondering if this is what the jello method normally achieves. Although the low output, it seems to be quite stable for the past 2 weeks.

My question is, would this low of CO2 output aid the plants at all? One more thing I noticed, the rate of output is affected by the position the airstone is placed; closer to the surface, the more output. Is this normal or something unheard of? Your input would be very much appreciated!

The hardware:
My reaction bottle is a 1L bottle, its cap is drilled an extra small hole than the airline tubing, thus no silicone is applied. The tubing leads to a second 1L bottle which acts as a gas separator; it is half-filled with water. Its cap has two holes drilled - one input from the reaction bottle and one output through a check valve into the aquarium via an airstone.

The Mixture:
Jello + 2 cups white sugar dissolved in boiling water; it was allowed to solidify overnight at -4 degrees and then supplemented with the yeast in luke-warm water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcoma View Post
My question is, would this low of CO2 output aid the plants at all?
Just as important if not more is the method of diffusion. Is all the gas being dissolved in the water or is most of it escaping at the surface? Is it being distributed evenly around the tank?

Quote:
One more thing I noticed, the rate of output is affected by the position the airstone is placed; closer to the surface, the more output. Is this normal or something unheard of?
Water pressure is greater at the bottom of the tank than at the top and would cause what difference that you are seeing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymsley View Post
Just as important if not more is the method of diffusion. Is all the gas being dissolved in the water or is most of it escaping at the surface? Is it being distributed evenly around the tank?

Water pressure is greater at the bottom of the tank than at the top and would cause what difference that you are seeing.
Thanks for your reply. It looks like most of the gas is escaping to the surface through the airstone in small bubbles form. Not sure if it's the diffusion quality of the cheap airstone, what do you recommend? I am trying to figure out if there's a leak somewhere because it bubbles faster in the gas separation bottle than it is releasing through the airtone.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. It looks like most of the gas is escaping to the surface through the airstone in small bubbles form. Not sure if it's the diffusion quality of the cheap airstone, what do you recommend? I am trying to figure out if there's a leak somewhere because it bubbles faster in the gas separation bottle than it is releasing through the airtone.
you can just stick it in the intake of your filter or a powerhead and that is a great way to diffuse co2
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love planted tanks View Post
you can just stick it in the intake of your filter or a powerhead and that is a great way to diffuse co2
I thought about doing that. But my concern is would the impeller of my filter (aquaclear110/500) be too strong for the DIY bottle causing all sorts of problems?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode