Using PC cooling parts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Using PC cooling parts?

I was checking out some of the nifty computers on a modding forum last night and started wondering two things:

1. Has anyone tried tricking out their support equipment and flaunting it instead of just hiding it behind the tank or in the stand?

2. Has anyone tried using PC water cooling parts for an aquarium? It seems like you could use the components off the shelf to make really nice modular canister filters and CO2 reactors with "zero leak" quick disconnects.

It's probably been done to death and being a newb I just haven't seen it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
It can easily be done and I'm sure someone has, but no it hasn't been beaten to death....not nearly close. In fact I've never seen a post of someone tricking out an aquarium. I used to toy around a lot with overclocking and played with everything from extreme air cooling all the way to building custom compressor powered, single phase changing, sub-zero units. Those fittings are expensive...that alone will keep it from being main stream in this hobby.

Though in your situation, I don't think there's any other way to go!!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Further, a great deal of the heat exchangers seem to be copper based, and whether they will leach a significant amount or not, it is there.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotguy View Post
I was checking out some of the nifty computers on a modding forum last night and started wondering two things:

1. Has anyone tried tricking out their support equipment and flaunting it instead of just hiding it behind the tank or in the stand?

2. Has anyone tried using PC water cooling parts for an aquarium? It seems like you could use the components off the shelf to make really nice modular canister filters and CO2 reactors with "zero leak" quick disconnects.

It's probably been done to death and being a newb I just haven't seen it.
Well, I don't know if it's tricked out, but the 90 gallon in my signature has the support equipment displayed.

[
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My brother had one of those coolant boxes with the hoses running to and from his computer prcessor. Unless there ae different types of those out there, I dont think hey are large enough to use as a canister filter unless your tank is 20g or less. But, a setup like that will definately turn some heads. I can see lcd monitors behind the tank running some screensaver to provide a background for your tank, processor cooler like you said for a canister filter, and things like that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Interesting idea. Potential issues are i) cost (relative to a zoomed mini canister for around $30) and ii) the PC water reservoirs often just have a fill hole so fitting media in there while keeping it watertight might require meaningful mods.

Still, I like the idea of having an anodized filter housing with heatsink fins on it (for no reason other than they look cool). The Fluval G3 is a nod in this direction.

Putting the braided wire covers on filter hoses might be an interesting mod...

45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion -
-
-
- lunar lights
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
As far as using a liquid cooling system from a computer for an aquarium... there really isn't much point. The designs for a computer are a lot different then what it would take to use on an aquarium, you could do it cheaper and easier on your own. They are basically just a small pump and a radiator with a fan, and most of them run $100+. Only thing really missing is a radiator (probably not to hard to build, or find from other purposes) and a $10 fan.

As for showing off the equipment. Thats one of those things were probably as many people find it a bit gaudy as find it cool. Also there is no reason to try to draw people's attention away from the tank and to the equipment.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
As far as using a liquid cooling system from a computer for an aquarium... there really isn't much point. The designs for a computer are a lot different then what it would take to use on an aquarium, you could do it cheaper and easier on your own. They are basically just a small pump and a radiator with a fan, and most of them run $100+. Only thing really missing is a radiator (probably not to hard to build, or find from other purposes) and a $10 fan.
but its still much cheaper then a chiller!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode