Drop checker starting off green out of water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Drop checker starting off green out of water?

I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong...

I made a 4dkh solution. I have accurate scales, I double checked everything, and my KH test confirms that it is a 4dkh solution... 2.4 grams of baking soda to 2 liters of distilled water. 150 ml of this solution to 1350 ml of distilled water.

I've added between 7-20 drops of the ph drops to the drop checker. It's green out of the water. I left it in the water for 2 hours, still green. I did a test tube of ph drops and my 4dkh solution, green. I tried my own ph drops instead of the ones it came with, same thing. I tried shaking the crap out of the test tube and drop checker thinking perhaps there was CO2 dissolved in it somehow..

I'm at a loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Then your 4dkh solution is not 4dkh... Sorry. KH test kits suck, so without a calibrated test kit, you can't be sure.

Do the pH drops dropped in on a plate come out blue??
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
I made my own without scales and I got good batch. Try This

Dissolve 1 tsp (6 grams) of sodium bi-carb into 1 litre of distilled water.
Take 10mL of this solution and dissolve it further into 490mL of distilled water.
You now have a solution with carbonate hardness of 4 degrees.

Easy Peezy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yup, solution went wrong somewhere. Thanks. Made a new batch. Oddly enough they both read 4dkh.

Previously I had added distilled water to the solution, this time I added the solution to distilled water. Since distilled water can have a pH of 5.8, this can render the baking soda into CO2, as well as the already high amount of CO2 that distilled water can absorb.. I'm suspecting the baking soda converted.

I used my 40dkh reference solution to generate both batches and the same distilled water, using a gram scale to measure how much water I was adding of each. Pretty wonky!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode