Odno 18" t8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
thedood's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,653
Odno 18" t8

I am going to over drive 2 18" T8 bulbs by using a 4 light ballast and running them in series. Can anyone tell me if this ballast will work?

Shop GE 4-Bulb Residential Electronic Fluorescent Light Ballast at Lowes.com

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thedood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,359
That's not how overdriving a bulb works. I think you should quit now before you burn your house down.
gus6464 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
thedood's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
That's not how overdriving a bulb works. I think you should quit now before you burn your house down.
You have told me its wrong now can you explain why? I've read numerous articles and read the schematics. So please enlighten me as to my misunderstanding .

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thedood is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,359
A fluorescent bulb requires a big amount of voltage to fire up. By wiring the single bulb in series to a ballast you are doubling the startup voltage. The bulb can't handle that. When you overdrive a bulb with a proper overdrive ballast the startup voltage is not doubled and everything stays within spec. Also the bulb has to allow being overdriven in the first place or life is reduced significantly. Let's use T5 VHO as an example. When you use an icecap 660 which is a VHO ballast the startup voltage is still within T5 spec.
gus6464 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
thedood's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,653
Thats weird. Ive read 30 pages of stuff multiple times right here on planted tank and several other forums and that never came up once and there have been a lot of successes. Have you ever done odno? Just curious where your info is coming from not saying your wrong just different than every other piece of info I have read.

A good portion of my info came from this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/26...ting-odno.html

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by thedood; 05-17-2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Content
thedood is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
Thats weird. Ive read 30 pages of stuff multiple times right here on planted tank and several other forums and that never came up once and there have been a lot of successes. Have you ever done odno? Just curious where your info is coming from not saying your wrong just different than every other piece of info I have read.

A good portion of my info came from this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/26...ting-odno.html
That article is quite old and you can tell it's outdated because the OP just cares about bulb life. Bulb life now is irrelevant when it comes to fluorescents in our hobby. The thing that matters is spectrum shift that occurs when bulbs get too old. This is why it is recommended to change out bulbs at the one year or so mark. Modern bulbs last a lot longer than that but we swap them out not because of failure rate but because of spectrum shift.

Also OP even stated in the faq to do this at your own risk as doing so is running the bulb way out of spec.

But the real question is why do you want to do this? T5HO ballasts can be had for super cheap online and bulbs as well. An example:

Philips Centium Advanced ICN-2S39T, basically the best 2ft/3ft T5 ballast on the market can be had for ~$20. Can drive 2x 24" T5 bulbs with a ballast factor of 1.12 and programmed start to boot so it's considerably easier on bulbs on startup so they last longer.

Then the GE Starcoat 865/ECO in 6500K. Has almost double the EOL life of a standard T5 bulb. 20k hours on standard bulb and 36k hours on 865/ECO. That means that the bulb will last almost twice as long before spectrum shift so you can get away with changing out once every 2 years. At $3 a pop it's a no-brainer.

Add to that a decent parabolic reflector like the coralvues at $10 a pop and some endcaps at 50 cents with some 600v rated solid core wire and you got yourself a quality DIY unit for basically the same amount of money as your ODNO.
gus6464 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
thedood's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
That article is quite old and you can tell it's outdated because the OP just cares about bulb life. Bulb life now is irrelevant when it comes to fluorescents in our hobby. The thing that matters is spectrum shift that occurs when bulbs get too old. This is why it is recommended to change out bulbs at the one year or so mark. Modern bulbs last a lot longer than that but we swap them out not because of failure rate but because of spectrum shift.

Also OP even stated in the faq to do this at your own risk as doing so is running the bulb way out of spec.

But the real question is why do you want to do this? T5HO ballasts can be had for super cheap online and bulbs as well. An example:

Philips Centium Advanced ICN-2S39T, basically the best 2ft/3ft T5 ballast on the market can be had for ~$20. Can drive 2x 24" T5 bulbs with a ballast factor of 1.12 and programmed start to boot so it's considerably easier on bulbs on startup so they last longer.

Then the GE Starcoat 865/ECO in 6500K. Has almost double the EOL life of a standard T5 bulb. 20k hours on standard bulb and 36k hours on 865/ECO. That means that the bulb will last almost twice as long before spectrum shift so you can get away with changing out once every 2 years. At $3 a pop it's a no-brainer.

Add to that a decent parabolic reflector like the coralvues at $10 a pop and some endcaps at 50 cents with some 600v rated solid core wire and you got yourself a quality DIY unit for basically the same amount of money as your ODNO.
That is excellent thank you! The reason why I was going to do this to begin with is I have all of the stuff on hand to do it except the ballast and to be honest I dont know that I was going to go that route anyway. I have two brand new zoo med tubes that I havent used. I am going to mount them up in a diy hood and see how they work. I actually stumbled on that info and several other pages online while doing some research. I never had the intention to begin with but thought it might work for a year until the bulbs need replaced then I could do something different.

Again thanks. Thats the kind of info I was looking for.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thedood is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
That is excellent thank you! The reason why I was going to do this to begin with is I have all of the stuff on hand to do it except the ballast and to be honest I dont know that I was going to go that route anyway. I have two brand new zoo med tubes that I havent used. I am going to mount them up in a diy hood and see how they work. I actually stumbled on that info and several other pages online while doing some research. I never had the intention to begin with but thought it might work for a year until the bulbs need replaced then I could do something different.

Again thanks. Thats the kind of info I was looking for.
If you are having a hard time finding a t5 ballast I have some Centiums that I have been hoarding for projects and can sell you one or two.

This is my secret stash


Coralvue parabolic reflectors.
CoralVue | Super Lumen Output T5 Reflectors

Endcaps can be had anywhere non-shunted and 600v solid core wire from home depot or electrical supply store.
gus6464 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome