Steel stand question. - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By PlantedRich
  • 2 Post By Nordic
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pakistan
Posts: 96
Steel stand question.

Hi everyone. So I got this stand made for a rimless 12"w x18"H x 24"L. Now I'm not sure that do I need to put some center brace in the stand or some plywood/steel plate or the tank could stand on this with just thermopore and won't crack.


Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
tanan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,854
Appears to be pretty much the form of the standard steel stand used for years. It used to often be used for 55 gallons so I would not expect any trouble. Is it made from tube stock rather than angle? That would make it far stronger than the old standard. You can often push down in the middle of the front and back iron on the size for 55's. All the cross pieces do is keep the legs from moving in or out. They really don't need to hold any weight.
PlantedRich is online now  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
fietsenrex's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 421
You should be fine the way it is, here in Holland everyone uses Some 18mm water resistant plywood between the tank and the stand to account for any imperfections in the weld which can lead to pressure/stress points which lead to cracks.
Also Some poeple use styrofoam as "absortion" material
fietsenrex is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator
 
GraphicGr8s's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West coast of the east coast of the USA.
Posts: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Appears to be pretty much the form of the standard steel stand used for years. It used to often be used for 55 gallons so I would not expect any trouble. Is it made from tube stock rather than angle? That would make it far stronger than the old standard. You can often push down in the middle of the front and back iron on the size for 55's. All the cross pieces do is keep the legs from moving in or out. They really don't need to hold any weight.
I've got steel stands for many of my tanks from a 5 gallon up to my 90. The 90 has the smallest angle iron of them all and I still can press the middle out at all. I hate that stand though. I like the 1" (1.25"?) angle I have on my 55s and 75 a lot more.

I'd put something on the steel with a rimless though just not to scratch the glass.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,854
We often see so many worries about small stuff like stands. glass, lights, etc. Maybe some of us who have been around longer and seen how much less attention/ worry was given to some of these points, should build a file of how bad things were but still worked well? Stands might be a place to start an interesting discussion of how crude they can be and still serve the purpose. At some point we may have spoiled our children to the point that they feel all these small things need to be perfect to work.
We could likely build a whole book on the way we used to clean tanks, as well?
PlantedRich is online now  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 04:35 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator
 
GraphicGr8s's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West coast of the east coast of the USA.
Posts: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
We often see so many worries about small stuff like stands. glass, lights, etc. Maybe some of us who have been around longer and seen how much less attention/ worry was given to some of these points, should build a file of how bad things were but still worked well? Stands might be a place to start an interesting discussion of how crude they can be and still serve the purpose. At some point we may have spoiled our children to the point that they feel all these small things need to be perfect to work.
We could likely build a whole book on the way we used to clean tanks, as well?
Except for not having to use dechlor I pretty much do it the same way.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Except for not having to use dechlor I pretty much do it the same way.
You missed the days when established practice called for taking it all down and doing a thorough cleaning?
When raising guppies that was the weekly routine to keep them from dying. When that cleaning was skipped and the fish died, it was assumed to be because the tank was too dirty. I might now guess that they died due to ammonia as there was precious little time for bacteria to prosper. If you dumped the old water and used new as well as new filter floss, they got by somehow.
PlantedRich is online now  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 04:11 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator
 
GraphicGr8s's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West coast of the east coast of the USA.
Posts: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
You missed the days when established practice called for taking it all down and doing a thorough cleaning?
When raising guppies that was the weekly routine to keep them from dying. When that cleaning was skipped and the fish died, it was assumed to be because the tank was too dirty. I might now guess that they died due to ammonia as there was precious little time for bacteria to prosper. If you dumped the old water and used new as well as new filter floss, they got by somehow.
I can't remember ever tearing down a tank to clean it. I used to change out 1/2 the floss in my Aquamaster and 25% changes every week.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 06:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nordic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 4,032
I used to boil everything that could be boiled in a big pot on the stove.
Do you know how bad boiling gravel smells?
I can still recall the exact smell decades later.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
Nordic is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Algae Grower
 
gregorylampron's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I used to boil everything that could be boiled in a big pot on the stove.
Do you know how bad boiling gravel smells?
I can still recall the exact smell decades later.
Like working at a landcaping material factory, but in your own home!

Please keep hands off glass.
gregorylampron is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
You missed the days when established practice called for taking it all down and doing a thorough cleaning?
When raising guppies that was the weekly routine to keep them from dying. When that cleaning was skipped and the fish died, it was assumed to be because the tank was too dirty. I might now guess that they died due to ammonia as there was precious little time for bacteria to prosper. If you dumped the old water and used new as well as new filter floss, they got by somehow.
Maybe that was a regional thing?? I can't ever remember doing total tear downs as a weekly routine . The usual thing was to clean out the fiberglass 'wool' and siphon off the crud on the bottom . I don't think any of the 'old guys'( who were in their 70's and 80's) I met in the clubs in the 70's did anything like that . Some of them had huge setups , 75-100 tanks .
someoldguy is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,854
One of the traumas of youth was waiting in the hall outside the biology class while the local fish guru finished cleaning out the guppy tank. Not sure which year that was but sometime between 58-60? That is one of the things that has planted the idea that we need to be alert to changing theories over time as there are so many examples of what we know for certain today being changed tomorrow.

The medical field is full of it. We try to avoid salt in our diet now but major companies used to have salt dispensers located all around so that we could pop a few salt tablets when we were sweating too much! First aid kits used to all have kits to slit the skin after snakebites but now we find too many people were cutting nerves or arteries in the process. Got to be ready to adapt.
someoldguy and someoldguy like this.
PlantedRich is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome