All You Structural Engineers Out There - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
JWA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
All You Structural Engineers Out There

I have a tank that measures 42"L 14"W 24"D about 60 gallons give or take.
Tank Bottom is 1/2" plate glass (42" X 14") the rest of the tank is made of 3/8" plate glass.
The shelf I want to put it on is only 12" wide.
Is it feasible to cantilever this tank 2 inches.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Here's what I would do. Get myself a piece of 3/4 ply. Cut to dimensions of tank. Place ply on shelf...place tank on ply. Good to go.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would not risk it. a 60 gallon tank is more than 500lbs.

What you may be able to do is get a piece of wood that is 42" by 14" and place that on the shelf to make it a bit wider and place the tank on it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Some pictures might help. You really need to have some support on a larger tank like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I wouldn't but I don't have to clean the mess up if you do.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Algae Grower

You would probably be OK. But, I wouldn't do it. I would do as suggested and put ply underneath. Not MDF, OSB, or particle board. I would use birch. 3/4" like what james0816 said. If you're really feelin froggy I would also coat the ply to keep it resistant to moisture. You can glue a piece of trim on the edges if it has to look purty. Good luck!

Eheim Pimp Club Member #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
"The 'scape ain't right, bro."

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
500 pounds on a 12 inch shelf? First I would look at that shelf very critically. It really needs to be well supported to hold that tank. Then, if the shelf is strong enough, I would use the 3/4 plywood under it, as james suggested.

Hoppy
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
depends on the shelf doesn't it
if it's from ikea, forget it.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
JWA
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
Some pictures might help. You really need to have some support on a larger tank like that.
Don't know why pictures are needed since I gave dimensions. Should come down to the shear strength vs. dead load of 1/2" plate glass. Which, I can't seem to find
Thanks
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
picture of the shelf, not the tank.
joints matter.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
JWA
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy_1911 View Post
You would probably be OK. But, I wouldn't do it. I would do as suggested and put ply underneath. Not MDF, OSB, or particle board. I would use birch. 3/4" like what james0816 said. If you're really feelin froggy I would also coat the ply to keep it resistant to moisture. You can glue a piece of trim on the edges if it has to look purty. Good luck!
Hey Kilroy, Manhattan Kansas
I was stationed there for a year in '69 right after getting back from the Viet Nam
1st Infantry. One of the nicest places, with the nicest people, I have ever spent time in. The people of Manhattan went a long way in helping me forget the f#$king mess I just came out of.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
JWA
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
500 pounds on a 12 inch shelf? First I would look at that shelf very critically. It really needs to be well supported to hold that tank. Then, if the shelf is strong enough, I would use the 3/4 plywood under it, as james suggested.
Why are so many hung up on the shelf? I am fully aware of the weight involved here.. I am recently retired cabinet maker with 50 years experience in custom paneling book shelving etc. This unit we are speaking of is an all oak, very heavy duty which I designed and built to hold a tank of even larger size.
What I don't have and cannot seem to find is the shear weight of 1/2 inch glass
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Why are so many hung up on the shelf? I am fully aware of the weight involved here.. I am recently retired cabinet maker with 50 years experience in custom paneling book shelving etc. This unit we are speaking of is an all oak, very heavy duty which I designed and built to hold a tank of even larger size.
What I don't have and cannot seem to find is the shear weight of 1/2 inch glass
The glass won't fail in shear, the silicone joints would more likely separate.

Not to say that it can't be done, but no one here is going to give responsible advice and say that it's ok to cantilever a 10 gallon tank, much less a 60 gallon. The standard line is that the full bottom of the tank needs to be supported. Some member recommend a layer of foam underneath a tank to even out any stresses from an irregular surface.

And, by the way, welcome to the plantedtank.

65 gallon journal:

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

calm down dude. if you had included that information earlier they would have known but without our E.S.P. turned on how can you expect that inherent understanding?

The responding posters are just looking out for you not insulting your carpentry skills.

cheers-k
p.s. good luck with the tank

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Kid Creole nailed it. All glass tanks, and even more so, all acrylic tanks should be supported all the way around the circumference of the tank. You might have no problem cantilevering 2 inches of the tank, but why take that chance if you can put a plywood support between the tank and the shelf to better support that portion of the tank?

Most glass tanks have the bottom glass siliconed inside the sides/ends of the tank, so the weight is born by the bottoms of the sides/ends, not the bottom glass. Then, most rimmed tanks have plastic frame which sticks out beyond the bottom glass, so all of the tank weight is on that frame, not the bottom glass. I interpret that to mean that typical tanks are designed to be supported solely by the plastic rim, all the way around. If your tank has the bottom glass attached to the bottoms of the sides/ends, I would interpret that to mean that the tank is designed to be supported by the bottom piece - so cantilevering 2 inches should work ok. (But, I wouldn't be willing to try it myself.)

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode