Can I de-rim a 40 Breeder? how would you calculate that? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can I de-rim a 40 Breeder? how would you calculate that?

I've been planning a 65 rimless tank but I've come across a 40 breeder for $62.

How can you calculate weather or not it's safe?

I'm interested in your opinions and experiences. however I'd really like to find a way to calculate the physics of it and be sure one way or the other.

for what it's worth there is no center brace on the tank.

can't wait to hear what you think guys!

cheers-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
is the rim around the top in one piece or does it have seams? Generally, aquarium manufacturers use rims with seams for tanks that don't need the extra support (they're cheaper to make/install. They use injection molded rims that come in one piece for tanks that need the support.

Aside from that, there are a few sites online that have calculators for this sort of thing, but I can't remember one off the top of my head.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
You would need to know the thickness of the glass for one.

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Those plastic top rims are not very stiff when you try to bend them in the direction that the tank water will stress them. So, I think you are safe removing a rim when there is no cross brace. And, I suspect that for most tanks you are even safe removing the rim when there is a cross brace, but I don't have the nerve to try that.

Hoppy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Planted Member

Sides have to be at least 1/4" and the bottom has to be larger than 1/4".
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Those plastic top rims are not very stiff when you try to bend them in the direction that the tank water will stress them. So, I think you are safe removing a rim when there is no cross brace. And, I suspect that for most tanks you are even safe removing the rim when there is a cross brace, but I don't have the nerve to try that.
I agree that you can derim without the cross, but with a center brace is really risky, what happens is when the tank is new the brace has a loose springy feel to it, but with time the tank begins to bow, its very minor and you will never see it, but as the tank bows out the center brace becomes tighter allowing the tank only to bow out as much as the brace will allow it. With this very minor bowing there is no stress on the silicone holding the tank together, but without it, the seals will start to blow, then there is your leaker...

Another option is to derim a tank with a center brace and then make a glass brace for it along the outside edge so it will not be seen or block lighting...

Hope this helps.

F
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
My 40 breeders would bow a considerable distance. I had custom glass tops made for it and after I filled it with water, the tops wouldn't fit properly. I had the tanks for over a year and always worried if they would give up and spill water all over the floor. I would ask to see the tank full of water to see if this would be a problem prior to purchasing it. Take measurements before and after to see how much the glass bows out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:30 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
^ thats why i make a glass center brace about 6" off either side...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hmm, well. . .

the glass is 1/4" thick.

as far as testing it before purchase- not really an option, b/c it has a rim and the shop isn't going to let me take the rim off and fill it.

the idea of making an acrylic center brace is a good one but i think it will interupt the clean look that I'm going for in taking the rim off.

so hmm. . . gotta think some more i guess.

cheers-K

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode