Parker Solenoid wire-up DIY - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Thumbs up Parker Solenoid wire-up DIY

I originally posted this at the Barr Report, in response to a question.

I know that some of us have bought the eBay Parker solenoid, and that it comes with just bare spade terminals. Therefore, one has to wire up their own power lead. It's a simple process.

First, here's the solenoid
Name:  1383x01.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  21.9 KB

And here's the spade terminals, ready to accept a power lead
Name:  1383x13.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  13.3 KB

For this, i chose an 8 foot, 16 gauge, ungrounded power lead. You may choose longer, or shorter, for your purposes. This can be found at most hardware stores. I got mine at Lowe's for ~$4
Name:  solenoidcable.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  163.4 KB

Here's a shot of the ends of this power lead. Strip the black and white ends, to reveal about a half inch of copper.
Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoidcableends.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	18990

These are the insulated 16 gauge spade connectors i chose. The insulated variety keeps the bare metal from showing. I picked up a pack of dozen or so for ~$2.

Name:	16gaugecrimpspadeconnectors.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	18991

...to be continued in post 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp #418: 2075, 2217
MARINELAND Pimp#5: C-220, H.O.T.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Parker Solenoid wire-up DIY, part 2

Now, i chose to slip a couple pieces of shrink wrap down onto the stripped power leads. Then, you want to insert your stripped power leads into the spade connectors and crimp down. I would suggest you use the proper tool for stripping and crimping, which will basically make the process foolproof.

Name:	closeupterminalonsolenoid.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	18992

Use a heat gun to shrink the tubing, and you have your finished product.

Name:	solenoid.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	18994

It doesn't matter which terminals you attach the black and white ends too. It will work either way. Some have then wrapped the attachment point with electrical tape. I didn't feel the need, as i used insulated connectors and shrink wrap. Had i not used insulated connectors, i would've wrapped in electrical tape.

Thanks for viewing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:42 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice write up. I did the exact same thing as you did, but also went the extra mile to wrap everything in electrical tape, just in case.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Very nice. I used a cheaper chord and just the insulated connectors. What kind of regulator are you using?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2lovefish View Post
Very nice. I used a cheaper chord and just the insulated connectors. What kind of regulator are you using?
I'm using a Linde dual stage. Not sure of the model. I got it used from a member here.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
thrak76,

What is your opinion of the performance of the Parker Solenoid? How does it compare with a Clippard solenoid? I assume it get rather warm, can you verify?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (81/100%)
I bought the same and wire it like how you guys did. IME, they are kind heat up a lot compared to the usual solenoids or it is just mine that gets really warm. All those heat means it is eating up a a lot of power. Who else gets the same experience aside from me and HBOSMAN?

BO - EHEIM PIMP # 378
-

Aim High
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think that wrapping with electrical tape is a bad idea. I have a bunch of power cords in the front yard to supply architechtural lighting. They are on a dawn-to-dusk timer plugged into a GFCI outlet. When it rains if there is a problem the circuit will trip.

I used to wrap the places where one cord plugged into another (standard outdoor power cord extension type plugs, like you would use for a power tool) with electrical tape. I found that this was more likely to make the circuit trip, not less. If a little bit of water gets under the electrical tape it can't get out.

If you want to make it mo betta than the shrink wrap consider some kind of epoxy coating (never tried this myself, just an idea).

Last edited by houstonhobby; 03-11-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Expoxy coating
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4f1hmi View Post
I bought the same and wire it like how you guys did. IME, they are kind heat up a lot compared to the usual solenoids or it is just mine that gets really warm. All those heat means it is eating up a a lot of power. Who else gets the same experience aside from me and HBOSMAN?
I've tried the Clippard, which is a 6 watt solenoid. When I had it hooked up inline (co2 tubing on both sides), the solenoid would get hot. When I connected to the regulator via brass fittings, it would get only warm. My assumption is the big ol' regulator makes a good heat sink.

I was wondering if the Parker Solenoid gets as warm or hot.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (81/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
I've tried the Clippard, which is a 6 watt solenoid. When I had it hooked up inline (co2 tubing on both sides), the solenoid would get hot. When I connected to the regulator via brass fittings, it would get only warm. My assumption is the big ol' regulator makes a good heat sink.

I was wondering if the Parker Solenoid gets as warm or hot.
I tried feelin some of my friends solenoid and it just feels warm. In my case its hot like it was a left out piece of metal under a hot sunny day. It is a bit colder than a car radiator and will not burn your skin though.I actually tried to sniff it to see if it is burning or not. So I actually removed it and decided to let my c02 run 24/7 instead.

BO - EHEIM PIMP # 378
-

Aim High
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
thrak76,

What is your opinion of the performance of the Parker Solenoid? How does it compare with a Clippard solenoid? I assume it get rather warm, can you verify?
Well, i've not used the clippard. So i don't have a basis of comparison. It does get warm to the touch though. This solenoid is also a 6 watt model. As far as the performance... it opens when it should, and closes when it should. I've only had it in service for 3 weeks now, so no long term evaluations yet. The price is nice though.

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post
Well, i've not used the clippard. So i don't have a basis of comparison. It does get warm to the touch though. This solenoid is also a 6 watt model. As far as the performance... it opens when it should, and closes when it should. I've only had it in service for 3 weeks now, so no long term evaluations yet. The price is nice though.
Thanks for the input.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:39 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello all first post. I'm just getting back into a planted discus tank again.

Starting right now with (5) 5" discus and one sword plant.

Is that solenoid normally open or normally closed?

I noticed ASCO just came out with

Low-Power Solenoid Valves feature .55 W power consumption

Could this work? Still so new I haven't seen a price yet.

Is there a link for the basics of a diy CO2 setup?

I recently purchased a Digital Aquatics RKL controller.

Trying to figure out if I can use the PH probe reading to turn on and

off the solenoid. At the very least I know I can turn it on and off(day/night) (timer)

I already have a tank, regulator, needle valve, and bubble counter but I

had (from years ago, just getting back into it) to always remember to turn off

manual every night.

Thanks for any help.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:54 PM

The Parker solenoid that is pictured is normally off, and only on when power is flowing to it.

I am not familiar with the ASCO solenoid; could you provide a picture and/or specification sheet?

As for setting up your own pressurized CO2 system, there are various guides/posts out there, so do a quick search. It is pretty straight forward once you have all the parts, just connect the regulator to the tank, the solenoid to the regulator, and the needle valve to the solenoid. The bubble counter goes after the needle valve, and then you can have the tubing (with a check valve) that goes to your preferred method of CO2 diffusion/delivery (i.e. reactor or a diffuser with a ceramic disc).

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the reply.

You might have seen asco solenoids they are ones with the red cap and pale

green case. The one I mention is there newest although seems to be geared

to work with setups that wouldn't need a relay. Might be kind of costly and

still hard to find. Although I need to get a seperate module for the reefkeeper

lite system I have now and setup some things for my tank before I am ready

for the CO2 system anyway. My tank is still fairly new.

ww.ascovalve.com/Common/PDFFiles/Product/LowPower_Features.pdf

(won't let me post link yet, haven't reached 5 posts)

Would be kind of nice though if a fairly common solenoid that is used is 6 watt

and these are 0.55 watt. Notice the flow (0.06 to 3.2) Cv Enough?

Thanks for any help.

Tags
diy, parker, solenoid, wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode