A Hill's Rack, failed sorta kinda, and it is now moving locations. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
A Hill's Rack, failed sorta kinda, and it is now moving locations.

As many of you probably know negotiations with the parents over the past four years have been touch and go for me. I would get a tank rack approved then denied regularly so I basically would get my hopes up and after a while I gave up completely.

Now my parents have agreed to it, or my Dad has... as of now...

Anyways here are the rough details, I've got most of the basic stuff down but any and all advice is appreciated especially where light is concerned.

Tanks: 12 10g aquariums, ends facing out. Glass covers DC method.
Lighting: T5 single or double per level I'm not sure exactly yet (probably start off with just one and see how that works, go with great reflectors etc)
Rack: 2x4 construction for framing and plywood for shelf tops. Most likely unpainted or painted gray, navy blue, or a random fun color.
Filtration: Air pump, although little to no fauna will be in the system (it'll be my ultimate moss growing rack!!!!)

I'm also probably getting a sink for it to help with maintenance. I may get a dozen or so 2.5 gallon tanks too, not sure yet.

Electrical will also be wired specifically for this first rack. Grounded socket, mechanical timers on everything etc.

The best part is eventually, I'm adding a webcam to watch my rack from college Then I can also have my brother grab the webcam and give me better visuals on all the tanks while I'm away or something. This is a last step mid summer.

Its going to be fun, I'll update photos this weekend.
-Andrew

Last edited by A Hill; 12-26-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Sounds TOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!
Hope it flies without a veto vote from Mom this time good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

She has finally accepted it I guess. The whole I've been accepted to all my colleges so far helped a lot, also not really telling her much until I've started really getting stuff helped as well. (3 rejection letters coming soon though really reach schools)

One thing I'm not too sure on yet is what T5s to go with, I'm probably going to wire my own stuff up and put ballasts on top of the stand or something so I figure I'll try one per level (3 levels, 4 feet long = 12 tanks, 120 gallons, 12 species of moss at one per tank, and if this works well rack number two coming to a location soon!) but am worried it won't give enough light spread with good reflectors so I'm not too sure yet.

-Andrew

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
At 20" front to back I think you will need eihter 2 or 3 bulbs to get the lighting your looking for. Maybe 3 T5NO bulbs?

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
At 20" front to back I think you will need eihter 2 or 3 bulbs to get the lighting your looking for. Maybe 3 T5NO bulbs?

Craig
Its going to be interesting...

I'm going to try and make it work with two per shelf to start but I'll see as time goes on.

I'm going to try and stay no co2 with this setup, because if I use CO2 I'll need a 20# tank or something large.

The build might happen next weekend, I've been sick.

-Andrew
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I bought the wood today $60 worth of 2x4s and plywood. This afternoon it'll all be cut and hopefully by this time tomorrow there will be a rack standing in the basement!

Now I'm looking to figure out my lighting situation. I'm thinking 2 T5 bulbs per shelf, initially I'm going to do two shelves and they're 24 deep so the light probably won't be super even. Right now, I'm looking at $100 max on light. This may mean only one rack gets T5 but I'm hoping I can do both lighting with t5s. I'm probably going to buy the coralife ones and strip them down. I'm not sure exactly. I'm probably going to make a lighting thread.

So it is getting going!
-Andrew
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Why were they changing their minds so often? Was it the Electric bill they worry about? Hows the upkeep for all that? You paying for it? This is an awesome idea man ... are you going to be selling any of that moss? Your own personal store lol

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:

Old Journal:

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
So I bought the wood today $60 worth of 2x4s and plywood. This afternoon it'll all be cut and hopefully by this time tomorrow there will be a rack standing in the basement!

Now I'm looking to figure out my lighting situation. I'm thinking 2 T5 bulbs per shelf, initially I'm going to do two shelves and they're 24 deep so the light probably won't be super even. Right now, I'm looking at $100 max on light. This may mean only one rack gets T5 but I'm hoping I can do both lighting with t5s. I'm probably going to buy the coralife ones and strip them down. I'm not sure exactly. I'm probably going to make a lighting thread.

So it is getting going!
-Andrew

How wide is the stand? Home depot had some T5NO setups that included bulbs for ~$32 for a 2 bulb 48" unit. They had 2 and 3 footers as well.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNY911 View Post
Why were they changing their minds so often? Was it the Electric bill they worry about? Hows the upkeep for all that? You paying for it? This is an awesome idea man ... are you going to be selling any of that moss? Your own personal store lol
There were a lot of factors involved, I think the main thing was they thought I'd stop focusing on other stuff as well or stop with the aquariums. Now being accepted to almost all of my colleges they're more willing to let me flood the basement Yes this will be the moss rack hopefully helping to supply the hobby with a consistent supply of mosses. It has been a goal of mine for years finally becoming reality.

Quote:
How wide is the stand? Home depot had some T5NO setups that included bulbs for ~$32 for a 2 bulb 48" unit. They had 2 and 3 footers as well.

Craig
Since when does Home Depot have T5?!!? I knew they had T8 but T5 must be new. I'm going to go there now.

I'm going to add a Need to buy list above but right now I have to add:
Sink
8 10 gallon aquariums, will be ordered next week.
T5 Lighting
Power strip + Timers
Glass tops for Aquariums

Thanks,
-Andrew
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
There were a lot of factors involved, I think the main thing was they thought I'd stop focusing on other stuff as well or stop with the aquariums. Now being accepted to almost all of my colleges they're more willing to let me flood the basement Yes this will be the moss rack hopefully helping to supply the hobby with a consistent supply of mosses. It has been a goal of mine for years finally becoming reality.

Since when does Home Depot have T5?!!? I knew they had T8 but T5 must be new. I'm going to go there now.

I'm going to add a Need to buy list above but right now I have to add:
Sink
8 10 gallon aquariums, will be ordered next week.
T5 Lighting
Power strip + Timers
Glass tops for Aquariums

Thanks,
-Andrew

They had them when I was in there yesterday along with all there other strip lights. These were NO and all included the bulbs. I think there were 3 different sizes each wiht 2 bulbs in each.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
They had them when I was in there yesterday along with all there other strip lights. These were NO and all included the bulbs. I think there were 3 different sizes each wiht 2 bulbs in each.

Craig
Like actual fixtures like the T8 fixtures they have always had?

I couldn't find information about them online...
-Andrew
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Like actual fixtures like the T8 fixtures they have always had?

I couldn't find information about them online...
-Andrew
Yep jsut like in the T8 section but they were T5NO the 4' had 2- 28 watt bulbs. They don't have anything online I looked already aswell. I believe they were Lithonia brand.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yep jsut like in the T8 section but they were T5NO the 4' had 2- 28 watt bulbs. They don't have anything online I looked already aswell. I believe they were Lithonia brand.

Craig
Time to check to see if they have any near me! If they do, I'll be back with the lighting soon

Thanks for the information, I went to Lowes this morning for the wood and they don't have T5 fixtures of any size yet (just tiny kitchen stuff)

-Andrew
post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I went to go to home Depots, and well... I went to where it used to be. Then came back for dinner. The funny part was the new location is right behind the old one and I passed it. I guess I was too excited to think or something, so I'll go there tomorrow and check out the T5 stuff.

In other news all the wood is cut, took about 45 mins or so and its all clamped now. Tomorrow morning I'm going to assemble it all.

Fun stuff, I'll put pictures of everything going on tomorrow.
-Andrew
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
So I went to go to home Depots, and well... I went to where it used to be. Then came back for dinner. The funny part was the new location is right behind the old one and I passed it. I guess I was too excited to think or something, so I'll go there tomorrow and check out the T5 stuff.

In other news all the wood is cut, took about 45 mins or so and its all clamped now. Tomorrow morning I'm going to assemble it all.

Fun stuff, I'll put pictures of everything going on tomorrow.
-Andrew

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode