Polyester material as filter media - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Polyester material as filter media

So I bought a polyester roll from Walmart to use as filter media. I thought, "I'm so smart. Why spend more money on something so cheap?"
Well today I found tons of floating white/transparent "flakes" that I have to assume are pieces of polyester.

I opened up my canister and find a TON in the reservoir prior to the actual media portion. Dumped it out and spent probably 45mins cleaning up what was floating in my tank.

Does anyone know of this is common with polyester material, or is it something completely different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Did you get the loose pillow-fill (like polyester fluff)? Or did you get the polyester batting (like a roll/sheet)?

The loose polyester is known to have little pieces get blown all over the tank.
I only use the batting and don't get any of the material floating around or collecting anywhere.
thedood and thedood like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
If I might make a suggestion if it was me I would use what you have but stuff it into some of those 99 cent media bags from petsmart or stuff it into nylon stockings. That way your problem is soved and you didnt waste your money.

As @WaterLife life said you want batting not fiberfil. I use the low loft stuff at is seems to compress less and holds shape better.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's batting, but my girlfriend is completely convinced that it's dead leaves from my Ludwigia. I think she's crazy but whatever. Thedood, I'll grab those tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have multiple filters with it and have never had a problem with it coming loose. I have 2 huge wads in an emperor 400 that have been in there for 4 months and still look good. I have another emperor 400 that has batting cut into strips and inserted into the clam shell cartridges. I have a home made water polisher that is stuffed with it and it works well there. If it is coming loose on you the media bags should solve the problem.
MCSLABS and MCSLABS like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I too buy filter material at Walmart.
I buy the densified polyester(not FOAM) which comes in 15" X 17" square and is 2 " thick.
I trace around one of my filter pad's on the polyester and then cut with fabric shear's.
I can then either leave it two inches thick for one pad or,,peel it apart like opening a sandwhich to see what's on it ,and now I have two one inch pad's.
Was pleased lately to see labeling indicating" no added fire retardant chemicals" although I have used the stuff containing them for year's without any issues.
Used to use the polyester loose roll stuff in HOB filter's where it worked OK ,but it did tend to get loose and sometimes work to clog filter tubes on canister filter more quickly if it was not contained in basket ,or fabric mesh.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 07:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm assuming you're using this stuff Poly-Fil Extra-Loft Batting - Walmart.com

I get flakes (i'm using a wet dry sump if it matters) but I'm pretty sure it's from stuff that built up on my return line / vinyl tubing.

you sure it's not from your hoses/tubing?
WaterLife and WaterLife like this.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
I'm assuming you're using this stuff Poly-Fil Extra-Loft Batting - Walmart.com

I get flakes (i'm using a wet dry sump if it matters) but I'm pretty sure it's from stuff that built up on my return line / vinyl tubing.

you sure it's not from your hoses/tubing?
I honestly couldn't tell you. I've never used a cannister filter before but my gf has and she says she's never seen anything like this before
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

How hard is your water? I wonder of this isnt water deposits that broke loose from inside the hoses.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
How hard is your water? I wonder of this isnt water deposits that broke loose from inside the hoses.
I just ordered a KH and GH kit last night so I'll find out soon!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Any sources for cheap aquarium grade sponges? $10+ for a 5"x5" sponge is a bit ridiculous.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Any sources for cheap sponges? $10+ for a 5"x5" sponge is a bit ridiculous.
What's wrong with using polyester? I'm pretty sure that isn't the source of my white junk. I'd use it again, if for no other reason than its cheap as dirt
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonedawg08 View Post
What's wrong with using polyester? I'm pretty sure that isn't the source of my white junk. I'd use it again, if for no other reason than its cheap as dirt
I'm making a sponge filter and am looking for sponges.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonedawg08 View Post
I just ordered a KH and GH kit last night so I'll find out soon!
Need a super quick but not super accurate way to judge hardness? Look around the faucets and find how much mineral deposits are there! If there isn't a super cleaning person in-house, you can get a good idea of the water hardness.

The flakes do sound like hard water deposits from tubing, etc. They break loose when you move the tubing and then may lay somewhere for a while until the dissolve again.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Need a super quick but not super accurate way to judge hardness? Look around the faucets and find how much mineral deposits are there! If there isn't a super cleaning person in-house, you can get a good idea of the water hardness.

The flakes do sound like hard water deposits from tubing, etc. They break loose when you move the tubing and then may lay somewhere for a while until the dissolve again.
Im just surprised at how flexible they are. They wave in the current and fold on to plants. I'd assume mineral deposits would be stiffer, but i honestly don't know

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode