DIY Hood using Philips T2, 6500K 1600 Lumen CFL 23 watt bulbs - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Hood using Philips T2, 6500K 1600 Lumen CFL 23 watt bulbs

Finally had time to put this together, 12,800 lumens, at 6500K. All of the plants I have are bright sun plants and have been doing poorly on the light that came with the tank, 40g bow front, 20 inch deep. Just need to paint this thing and get it mounted.

First pic is testing, second foiled in with no bulbs, third is bulbs and lit up, its like looking at the sun.

The whole project cost me about $45. Lumber was from a construction site near by, I had the wires already. Can't wait to get it over the tank.

Just noticed I forgot to put in the 8th bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160428_124750.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	625210  

Name:	20160428_124242.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	625218  

Name:	20160428_105220.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	625226  

thedood and thedood like this.

Learning what I can..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I dig this.
MCSLABS and MCSLABS like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got a call in to Philips to see if they can provide me with the full spectrum analysis for these bulbs, you know they got it, its a matter of if they will send it or not.

Learning what I can..

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Your light uses 184 watts of electricity! That is more than a 4 tube T8 light. If you make simple thin aluminum reflectors for each bulb, shaped like \_/, like a rain gutter, with the bulbs running down the center, so the side wings each reflect a full image of the bulb into the tank, you can use half that many bulbs and get the same amount of light intensity. It takes a little work to do that, but not much.
thedood and thedood like this.

Hoppy
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Your light uses 184 watts of electricity! That is more than a 4 tube T8 light. If you make simple thin aluminum reflectors for each bulb, shaped like \_/, like a rain gutter, with the bulbs running down the center, so the side wings each reflect a full image of the bulb into the tank, you can use half that many bulbs and get the same amount of light intensity. It takes a little work to do that, but not much.
Any reason why a piece of gutter lined with aluminum foil wouldnt work?

75G Seachem Flourite

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yes its 184 watts but that 184 watts is generating 12,800 lumens, enough so that if I feel its to many I can back it off, hard to increase it after its made already. T2 cfl are 70 lumens/watt, thats pretty high except for LED's.

The whole box is a reflector. I thought about putting an additional reflector in but didn't see why it would have needed it. I dont' know if I'll need all 1200+ lumens or not but its there just in case.

Learning what I can..
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think the suggestion @Hoppy is making will focus the light more? I'm going to subscribe to this as I want to make a good for my tank. I hope you keep us up to date on how it works.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

In a perfect designed hood you would have a paraboloic reflector that distributes the light in a 80~110 degree cone. It's why the clamp on work reflector lamps are such good choices if you don't mind their look.

I guess I'm not fussy, but I ran a 125 watt Phosphored Mercury Vapor 'yard light' in a big pendant parabolic over my 32 gallon tank for years in our old house. The extra light spill was used as additional reading light and also grew some houseplants growing close to the tank. Images of tank..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00038.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	625402  

Name:	DSC00040.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	625410  

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DIY Hood using Philips T2, 6500K 1600 Lumen CFL 23 watt bulbs

Here it is on the tank. Sad to say I got a lot of ill looking plants that suffered from inadequate lighting. I do have a small amount of light loss, see back wall. I have already built reflectors and will see about proper orientation later. It looks good to me though. Originally I wanted to run the lights vertically and put a reflector on each bulb but the box would have been twice the size it is now, unsightly to me.

Not sure how much more I will mess with this, not losing a whole lot of light off the back side, less than first thought. Two more pics, one of the pics is the old Aqueon bulb that was over it originally.

To get an appreciation for the brightness look at the lamp on the right, there is a 23 watt 6500k 1600 lumen bulb in that lamp, compare the pics. The lamp appears as the brightest object when looking at the aqeuon lamp and the darkest object when the new hood is on the tank.

Time to start looking for some more plants.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160429_075924_1461938644597.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	625466  

Name:	frontal view lights.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	625530  

Name:	old aqueom bulb.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	625538  

Last edited by MCSLABS; 04-29-2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Add more photos
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Can you shorten the legs and move it closer to the water?

75G Seachem Flourite

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
Can you shorten the legs and move it closer to the water?

I wish I could but the HOB filter is only a 1/2 inch off the hood now. I made it adjustable for height so when I get the DIY filter I made running I'll be able to drop it an inch or so. Its sitting 3 inches over the tank now.

Did I mention I hate the aqeuon filter that came with the tank. Design flaw that thing is. The motor and electric are submerged beneath the water line.

Ain't this something. A pair of forty cent glasses (defraction glasses) that will let you view the spectrum of any light of interest. We got a school supply store here, I think I will stop in to get a pair.

http://www.rainbowsymphonystore.com/...rIcaAkO78P8HAQ

Learning what I can..

Last edited by MCSLABS; 04-29-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add URL
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

For fun:
https://www.420magazine.com/forums/d...effective.html

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Couldn't figure out how I was going to get 8 bulbs in a hood like that while maintaining a shape of 10 inch by 29 inch. This bow front can be a trick to deal with.

Learning what I can..
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So far so good, starting to see new growth emerge on some of the plants already. Had to take the snips to some that weren't looking so good.

Learning what I can..
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You loose an incredible amount of light with a cfl, by mounting it horizontally like that. A spiral CFL, does its best work on the side you have pointed at the opposite sides of the canopy, rather than at the tank.
Also just painting the inside glossy white is virtually as good as lining it with foil.... sometimes even better. I think for spiral CFL bulbs the best is to use those aluminium bell shaped lights you see in warehousing etc. You'd probably get the same lighting with half the bulbs (cost) than you are now...

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode