The bucket. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
The bucket.

I am picking up an arowana (6 inch juvi.) on Saturday on do not want to risk any problems bringing it home (hour plus drive, little buggers are jumpers too). Here is the bucket I have rigged up to help get him home safe. Total cost... $14.00. $3.00 for the bucket and lid, $11.00 for the battery powered pump and air stone, tubing, well everyone has miles of that stuff lying around, or at least I do. Heat will be supplied by the trucks floor heaters (free )

Step 1 - buy stuff
Step 2 - drill hole slightly smaller than air tube.
Step 3 - Pull tube through hole.
Step 4 - Attach air stone and pump.
Step 5 - Realize that the whole thing is so easy and takes literally two minutes that you forgot to take pictures of the whole process

A couple pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
haha nice, when I got a few fish from somewhere far I got a power inverter (small one) and put it in a bucket with a small heater and a air pump.

Lasted all the way home! But I think the fish were dizzy
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
nice idea! i may make one now just for kicks and giggles, i can always use it for the cray fish i catch. (no they dont go in my tank, they go in the horse trough for the algae)

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a power inverter (2 outlets) so I can run air and heat for those really long drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
haha nice, when I got a few fish from somewhere far I got a power inverter (small one) and put it in a bucket with a small heater and a air pump.

Lasted all the way home! But I think the fish were dizzy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I did the same thing, all of my fish made it all 1,300 miles and two days of travel! Twice!! and soon to be a third and final time.

___My 120 Gallon___ EHEIM PIMP #407, 2x 2229, 2x 1250 Hobby Pumps, 1x Ecco 2236, and 1x Eheim Sludge Extractor

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Haha, '6 inch juvies' sounds weird to me.

What tank are you putting him in, I'd like to see it .

This is exactly what I plan to do with all of my shrimp and fish when I move em' two hundred miles next year. I'll also be moving 100 or so Tilapia the same way, but I'll just large trash cans instead of 5g buckets.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
how much are they going to charge you for the fish.. Just curious. I have two shops that regullarly carry them but the juvies are in my opinion far too expensive. So I am wondering what other stores charge.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:39 AM
GEEK

PTrader: (68/100%)
What a great idea! I'll be moving 1200 miles in a few months and I've been thinking about how to transport my fish and shrimp. Thanks for the post.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I moved 1400 miles with fish just in a bucket. No heater, no airstone. I Had a few small holes in the bucket for air exchange. The vibration of the travel did plenty to aerate the water and I prefer in travel for it to cool slightly so that they slow their metabolism and poop less and stress less.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am buying the fish from a private seller. $40.00, silver arowana.

I have seen silvers for $50 -$75 and jardini for $100.00 for a 5" fish.

I have also seen 12" - 18" for $500 ( if I remember correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8thanExpl0sion View Post
how much are they going to charge you for the fish.. Just curious. I have two shops that regullarly carry them but the juvies are in my opinion far too expensive. So I am wondering what other stores charge.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteplanter View Post

This is exactly what I plan to do with all of my shrimp and fish when I move em' two hundred miles next year. I'll also be moving 100 or so Tilapia the same way, but I'll just large trash cans instead of 5g buckets.
Going into my 135 gallon planted/discus tank. No pics now, I will try to post some up when I get home tonight.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Hey that looks great... don't forget to drill a second very small hole into the lid, so that the air you are pumping in can escape. Other wise the pump will stop pumping, when it reaches its maximum pressure in the bucket.
I've never needed to move these distances, but if I do, I know how to do it right, thanks to you

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals:

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regloh View Post
Hey that looks great... don't forget to drill a second very small hole into the lid, so that the air you are pumping in can escape. Other wise the pump will stop pumping, when it reaches its maximum pressure in the bucket.
I've never needed to move these distances, but if I do, I know how to do it right, thanks to you
Looking back at the pictures I realized I needed to do that. Gonna get-r-done when I get home today.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
arowanaaaaaaaaaaaaa cool fishies !
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteplanter View Post

Here are some really bad, really old pics.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode