diy co2 set up! wooo - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
diy co2 set up! wooo

I set up my DIY Co2 with a 2L, 2 Cups of Sugar, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp yeast. I "activated" the yeast in some warmer water for about 10 mins with some vigorous stirring every few mins. I was getting some bubbles but then i hooked up the diffusor up in the tank and im not seeing much now. Also im not sure my Petco Brand check valve is working, i cant blow air through it at all. I think ill return it, or is that normal that you cant blow air through it? Did i do everything right? I hope i start getting a decent flow soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
make sure the arrow is pointing in the direction you want the co2 to flow..

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:25 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
What kind of diffuser are you using? If you are using one of those glass diffusers with the ceramic discs, DIY CO2 may not be able to generate sufficient pressure.

As for the check valve, have you tried flipping the orientation around? You may simply have it backwards.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i blew in it with my mouth both ways, i could not many any air pass, when i see alot of bubbles ill try to put it on again. And i am using a glass diffuser.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Check valves require some pressure to get flow to go through them. There is usually a spring keeping them shut, and you need to overcome the pressure of the spring.

I've learned to hate check valves, especially for DIY CO2. I know I'll probably get lynched for saying that, but I've found them to be more trouble than they are worth. I've tried numerous kinds, and they've all failed.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright well, ive got lots of bubbles going now! So exciting! I guess ill return the check valve 2marrow and say it was faulty or something. When do you think ill see a growth spurt from the Co2??? I'm so ecstatic to see the diffuser breaking up the bubbles so finely! Also how do i know how much to to much? I dont think i can really change it... maybe less/more yeast next mixture i make? Also what are the chances the 2L will like... blow up? Its pushing bubbles out great now so i donno, i just dont want to be woken up in the middle of the night to a loud explosian and goo everywhere....
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
if u can get a 2l bottle to explode my hats off to u. only the top will blow the sides are very strong unless u puncture it. if u ever have time shake one up ALOT and u can throw them when u build enough pressure and force it can launch over a house. i wouldnt even blink about coČ diy as a prob. and as far as seeing inprovement that depends on ur light then coČ then nutrient. lumens is what counts not watts. and u didnt even say what kind of plants so kinda hard to say if they grow fast or not. hope it helps ease your mind.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright so its hard to blow haha. Thank you! I have 2 10watt cfls in the hood. Ill make a list of plants 2marrow im dead tired from all the setting up. Also ill start a journal too. Thanks for the help, i can sleep easy knowing the co2 will not explode haha.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you just slid the tubing through a hole in the cap, there's no way it will explode, even if you pinch off the tubing. It will leak first.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
To chime in: a standard 2L bottle can retain over 180PSI if you leave the drink label on.

I might have used one as a buffer tank in a pneumatic system for a combat robot
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned

You'll find that the weakest link
in the DIY co2 system is the air line connections.
If you just pushed the line through a plastic top
you will fo' sho' leak there first.

If you want to explode a bottle try some
dry ice, or the Works toilet cleaner
-Aaron

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

we used to use the little heating packs the came in MRE's. (military rashions)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you use a gas separator bottle between the yeast/sugar bottles and the diffuser, you can eliminate the check valve all together by simply elevating the seperator bottle. I have mine just above the water level where the airline never turns and goes downhill.

Also If you are worried about the 2L exploding or leaking, you can put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a snap on lid. At least then the mess would be contained

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-one-exit.html

^ FYI, great diagram in that thread

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great diagram, i will do that, any soda bottle is ok for that im assuming?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 AM

I would use a slightly smaller bottle for a gas separator, but yes, any soda bottle will do for that purpose.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode