double grigg style reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
double grigg style reactor

so...Im starting to make some moves toward my 40gal breeder (hopefully final tank) and starting to collect some info and some ideas

currently, I run an inline diffuser (boyu, $4 china direct ) but Im thinking about going the rex grigg diffuser route in the future...

so Im wondering...has anyone ever considered connecting grigg style reactors in series? well...not series as in stacked exactly but in series via tubing, with them being mounted parallel to eachother

I could see some benefits as the 2nd (or 3rd possibly) reactor will catch any escaped bubbles...but wouldnt they just eventually escape as well?

has anyone tried it...or is it just overkill?

also, found some interesting research lately about terminal velocity of CO2 bubbles in water...its ~25 cm/s for bubbles 4-16mm in diameter ...which is all well and good...but when you think about a 35 gph filter running 1/2" hose (eheim ecco 2232 on my 20gal)...the water is already moving in that line at ~38 cm/s...which means not much change in diameter is needed to make an inline reactor that stops the bubbles in their tracks...jumping up to an 1" diameter pipe would work (theoretically)

anywhoo...I digress (love being an engineer) anyone tried a series grigg reactor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killacross View Post
so...Im starting to make some moves toward my 40gal breeder (hopefully final tank) and starting to collect some info and some ideas

currently, I run an inline diffuser (boyu, $4 china direct ) but Im thinking about going the rex grigg diffuser route in the future...

so Im wondering...has anyone ever considered connecting grigg style reactors in series? well...not series as in stacked exactly but in series via tubing, with them being mounted parallel to eachother

I could see some benefits as the 2nd (or 3rd possibly) reactor will catch any escaped bubbles...but wouldnt they just eventually escape as well?

has anyone tried it...or is it just overkill?

also, found some interesting research lately about terminal velocity of CO2 bubbles in water...its ~25 cm/s for bubbles 4-16mm in diameter ...which is all well and good...but when you think about a 35 gph filter running 1/2" hose (eheim ecco 2232 on my 20gal)...the water is already moving in that line at ~38 cm/s...which means not much change in diameter is needed to make an inline reactor that stops the bubbles in their tracks...jumping up to an 1" diameter pipe would work (theoretically)

anywhoo...I digress (love being an engineer) anyone tried a series grigg reactor?

If im not mistaken, Barr said that fine bubbles are a lot more "ready to use" making it more beneficial than completely dissolved co2 in a tank. The plants can access it more easily because it will accumulate under the leaves. So that would just make it over kill IMO. I'm an engineering student myself.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've used just one Rex Grigg reactor per tank with pressurized CO2 and never really had any problem with escaped bubbles, so two in series would probably be overkill.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned

but..but....T-T ...(will still probably do it)

@agoins...what kind of engineer?

I double majored...Mechanical and Environmental (working on)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I doubt you will add any advantage that a properly designed reactor wouldn't provide. I would try using your diffuser prior to the reactor, using the largest diameter pipe you can to allow more dwell time.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

instead of doing a dual setup just make the length of the reactor longer. Same idea.

I have a rex style reactor and I get maybe a few very tiny bubbles and it doesnt bother me. Much better than before with the diffuser (i dont like a mist of bubbles) and my plants peraled better than my co2 into powerhead.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

^^that was kinda the idea/point...if you dont have space to accommodate a 3ft pipe....make 2 series 2' pipes...or 3 1' pipes...you would effectively lengthen the dwell time without it being proportional to pipe length...and since these reactors dont work laying down...i think there could be something to this

...jus dont have a reason to try it out jus yet...but imagine a rex style reactor hidden neatly and discreetly in the back of a cabinet
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

my microbubbles that comes out are very very small, looks like dust particles. and my pipe is about 19'' high.

maybe you can adapt the ventruri style with the reactor to get more diffusion...

have fun!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Planted Member

Mechanical
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
maybe you can adapt the ventruri style with the reactor to get more diffusion...

have fun!
the venturi mod will add co2 mist (and other gases) into the tank.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
With the top down water flow through these reactors you may be introducing additional turns (elbows) into the plumbing to feed the second side mounted reactor, even in a series arrangement. This will surely add additional plumping losses...fluid dynamics proves will effect total water flow. You may have to increase the flow capacity of the pump in your power head/canister filter to balance this. The increase in dwell time would have a diminishing effect to CO2 mixing.

IMO, Just go with the single reactor and stop over analyzing this portion. I tend to over analyze or make things too technical (also an engineer) and it usually just gets in the way of the other things that are more important to pay attention to. I still battle with this.....in both aquariums and motorsports.

But on the other hand, if you have the time and find this as the fun part....DO IT. And post up some data for others to enjoy.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Actually, If its micro bubbles you are worried about, switch RG design from 2" to 3".
Ask around.
What ive heard is that too much flow through a 2"er will cause micro's, and one should consider switching to 3"er.
Changing length doesn't do it.
The RG difference is night and day.
I have switched to a RG style 2" DIY reactor, last week, and have been itching to tell you that the difference is superior over ceramic disk or passive style dissolution. IMO of course.
My solenoid used to kick on and off so much, but now it comes on half what it was and the pH levels are much more consistent.

Thanks to the person who designed the DIY reactor.
See here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I tryed a 2in 22in reactor to a 2in 24in uv light and was still getting micro bubbles coming out. If you have a higher flow filter 3in reactor works a lot better.

Filstar pimp#48

24g Aquapod 60w led Pressurized co2 paintball system DIY blacked out stand

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler79durdan View Post
[CENTER]Actually, If its micro bubbles you are worried about, switch RG design from 2" to 3".
Yep, if you're not getting good dissolution and the reactor is already a decent length then you need to increase the diameter. This is going to slow down flow through the reactor better than increasing the length.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode