vacation block ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
vacation block ferts

so i have a fishmate automatic fish feeder that feeds my fish once a day for 14 days http://www.gardencentre.co.uk/images/large/6246.jpg

i was thinking, since i'm going to be dosing dry ferts...how can i add those dry ferts into my auto feeder to make my life easier?

1.) since dry ferts are powder, i can't just place them inside those cubicles or else they mix up and might not drop the correct dose or worst...macros mix with micros.

2.) i was thinking of putting them in a small individual mesh/stocking type of bag to keep them intact so a bag with ferts will basically be drop in the tank. problem: small bags floating around the tank isn't attractive; i dont think there is such bag; and ferts might still fall out the mesh and mix up.

3.) so i was thinking of something like a tablet. like those white vacation tablet thingy kinda like a root tab but would dissolve within a hour or so...

so here's my question:

is there such thing in the market right now?

for the bakers, cheft, chemist or diy-er folks out there....how can i make dry powdered ferts into small tablets that will dissolve within a hour or so when dropped under water?

Benedict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Get two interlocking tubes -- like a pen, and a pen cap. Mix your macros and micros in the proper proportions. Measure out the proper amount for each dose into the pen cap, add a single drop of water, and smash the pen into the cap. It should form a plug that can be air-dried and dosed. You might be able to use a crystal or two of aquarium salt per capful as a binder.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertilizer tablets are available. Press them into the substrate, do not turn them loose in the water column. You can also make your own from pottery clay and the dry ferts.

If you want to use the fish feeder idea, can you make sure they won't mix, and put the Macros in every other day, and the Micros the alternate days? Dropping these directly into the tank is not a problem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode