Light dimmer to control powerhead? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Light dimmer to control powerhead?

About a month ago I ordered a SEIO pump from Foster and Smith. I liked that one because it was adjustable. I showed up, and after getting it installed, I decided within a few seconds that it was unacceptably loud. I sent it back to F&S for an exchange for a Koralia 1. Those are on back order, so I opted to exchange for a Koralia 2 instead. It's a nice pump. It's quiet, looks to be great quality... however; that thing moves some water! My school of 10 black neon tetras seem to be able to do nothing swim for their lives to keep from being sucked into the back of that thing.
I"ve already spent too much on shipping to send it back again.
Is it possible to use a light switch dimmer (thyristor) to vary the 'power' to the Koalia pump? Any other ideas?

Also, Koralia makes different pumps for always-on, and pumps for wavemaker applications. The normal pumps are not meant to be turned on and off repeatedly... Can I put this on a timer and turn it on and off ONCE a day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The dimmer thing isn't going to work. I just tried it. The impeller twitches some, but no water movement.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yep.

Normal dimmers are made for resistive loads (like light bulbs), and usually fail to operate properly when connected to inductive loads (like motors).

There are some specialty "dimmers" made for inductive loads, like ceiling fan speed controls. But what I typically see in filters are synchronous AC motors; their speed is determined not by the power going through it, but by the frequency of the AC line. I know of no way to successfully modify their speed, restrict the power and they operate erratically or stop.

Best to solve this one by restricting or spreading the water flow.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Easy way to fix this...

either use a little mesh to clog up the intake, or some silicone allowed to cure fully. Just cover up a few slats at a time and see what you get. This will inevitably cause the early demise of your pump, though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
hmm that's a tricky problem.

could you use one of those "breeder" nets that have a plastic frame to keep your fish from getting sucked in? I'm afraid that would be terribly unattractive but what if you custom built one just slightly bigger than the korelia and used a black mesh fabric, might look a bit more unobtrusive. you much of a seamstress?

hope you find a good solution!

good luck-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
You could put the Koralia up in the Swap section to exchange for a smaller one (1 or even better Nano, depending on your tank size). I am sure there is someone out there who would like to trade up.

And yes, shouldn't be an issue turning the pump on and off once a day. Better solution would be to use a properly sized one and let it run all the time.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was in the process of sewing up some filter pad to stick on the back of it, got halfway through and realized that this is not one of my talents.
I may be able to sell it a friend with a more 'appropriately' sized tank.
Oh by the way, Foster and Smith don't even have the koralia 1,2 listed anymore...
are they coming out with a new model I wonder?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe157 View Post
I was in the process of sewing up some filter pad to stick on the back of it, got halfway through and realized that this is not one of my talents.
I may be able to sell it a friend with a more 'appropriately' sized tank.
Oh by the way, Foster and Smith don't even have the koralia 1,2 listed anymore...
are they coming out with a new model I wonder?
They are. It is advertised in TFH magazine as smaller.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode