My DIY moonlight (56K!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My DIY moonlight (56K!)

Installed into a 18W t8 fixture that is used not to grow plants (that one's on a timer), but jut to see the fish when I want.

here goes:

3V, 5mm LEDs wired in parallel, each with a 100 ohm resistor. That's the negative lead sticking up.

Positive and negative soldered up.

So, probably not the safest idea... it works though.

All wired up.

LEDs hot glued into place.

almost finished

final assembly... well, more like a test fit... some wire nuts did eventually find their way onto those hot wires before it went back together for good.

and done.

It even works!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Algae Grower

Very nice. COuld be a little safer if the switch was on the the 5.5 volt side.

I did almost the exact same set up. Those 5.5 volt cell phone chargers are great for let set ups, small and gives a great starting voltage.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, you're right. I see that now... easier to wire up probably too. It's done now though, and works like a charm...
I bought five ottos a few weeks ago, and have maybe seen one of them twice. The plants haven't really grown in much so I don't know where they're hiding.
Just a minute ago with the blue LEDs I counted 4. So they are still in there!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Algae Grower

Yeah i love watching my tank with only moon lights and lights off in the room, all the ottos and shrimp come out a lot more.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice job! Thanks for the images. You should post those to photobucket or another photo hosting site and use the url link for the pics, for future DIY'ers to use. To bad my lights came with mooners, cause it looked fun to make . I love tinkering!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I'll have to find a way to make the pics more permanent. I used photobucket so I wouldn't use up too much space on TPT's server. The downside though is that if I don't log into my Photobucket account every month, they block all requests for photos saved on their site.
I don't understand exactly what you mean if you have another way to get them posted that's more permanent.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 03:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
very nice man something about the fixture's white color and the blue led lights make it look amaising!

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 03:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Feel free to use TPT's image hosting. They provide it for members for a reason. People who donate do so to keep the hosting alive.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the compliments!
The other light is a 150W Metal Halide, and is a real hassle to turn on and off. It can't be on for too long either. My plants plants are all pretty new, and offer the algae little competition.
so I purposefully bought a low power light to use the rest of the day. It was cheap enough that I didn't mind cutting it up a little. It may have been around $20 (plus or minus 5). But get this... my fish look better under it than the MH. The MH is a 6700K coralife with a cheap electronic ballast. The T8 is a 'daylight' from GE that claims a temp of 6500K. The tank certainly isn't as bright, but every time I come into the room when the little light is on I notice that the black neon tetras have orange over their eyes, and the water is MUCH clearer looking.
I think maybe I went overboard on the lighting, but with a little ripple on the surface that MH sure does sparkle nicely... well, at least until you get a headache.

The blue light were way cheap too, I got 100 off eBay for $10-12. The resistors were about $5... a little expensive, and had I thought I'd ever use more, I could have gotten 100 for $12 (maybe 200, I forget).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe157 View Post
What did you connect the right side of the switch to? How long is the tank?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have an extention cord plugged into a timer, cut the far end off, and ran it into this fixture where a pair of wire nuts and electrical tape hold it together. It's plugged into 120v if that's what you are asking.
The tank is not very wide. It's 20 inches wide, 30 inches down. When I made this I had a 150w MH lamp in there. I have less time to devote to it now, so I replaced that with a Workhorse ballast that can power 2-8 18 inch fluorescent tubes. I'm still looking for that happy median where the shorter plants don't die, but where I still don't get an algae farm up top.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd like to see a full side view with the LEDs on.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode